Transferring schools

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 9, 2010
DD is a freshmen at an east coast public D3. She loves the coaches and is getting a ton of playing time, but the social and academic side is leaving her with doubts about the school. Apparently even with enrollment over 6K, “everyone” goes home on weekends, and the D3 program just doesn’t do enough softball for her to feel like she can click with anyone. Bottom line is that she is lonely, and home is over 3000 miles away.
She is contemplating looking for a larger school and more softball. Does anyone here have experience with transferring schools and being accepted into another roster - either same level, or up a level? The D3 route was her choice because she wanted academic flexibility, but now she is reconsidering that, and just wants a larger school where she can get her degree, have more social opportunities and play ball.

Jun 11, 2012
If she’s thinking of transferring I’d make sure the school/academic portion is the right fit and that she’d be happy there if softball wasn’t a thing.
DD also plays D3 and has softball related activities multiple times weekly even in the off season, some of it is “not mandatory” but most of the players go.
Is her current school largely a commuter school?

Dec 9, 2010
If she’s thinking of transferring I’d make sure the school/academic portion is the right fit and that she’d be happy there if softball wasn’t a thing.
DD also plays D3 and has softball related activities multiple times weekly even in the off season, some of it is “not mandatory” but most of the players go.
Is her current school largely a commuter school?
Well, we didn’t think so. But the school is in south MA and most of the students are from within 100 mi of campus and most go home on the weekends if they aren’t already a commuter. DD was pretty disappointed that the team has pretty much done nothing, off season or in season as far as activities or team bonding, no real off-season conditioning, and we are paying for a private strength and conditioning program at a facility 30 mi away that DD does with a few other teammates with cars. She came from a pretty competitive travel ball team and is used to players that work hard and want to improve. She still wants that, so wants to keep softball in any transfer options (along with the academic opportunity). She is thinking she needs to look at the D2 level to get to a larger school?

Jun 11, 2012
Well, we didn’t think so. But the school is in south MA and most of the students are from within 100 mi of campus and most go home on the weekends if they aren’t already a commuter. DD was pretty disappointed that the team has pretty much done nothing, off season or in season as far as activities or team bonding, no real off-season conditioning, and we are paying for a private strength and conditioning program at a facility 30 mi away that DD does with a few other teammates with cars. She came from a pretty competitive travel ball team and is used to players that work hard and want to improve. She still wants that, so wants to keep softball in any transfer options (along with the academic opportunity). She is thinking she needs to look at the D2 level to get to a larger school?
Do you mind me asking where she is? I’m in MA and so is the D3 DD plays for. I’m 100% sure it’s not the same school as DD’s school does significantly more (including plenty of conditioning)than some of the D3 schools some of her friends are at.
From what I’ve seen D3’s run from doing a ton of off season conditioning to not doing much at all.

May 29, 2015
While size and classification have some correlation, keep in mind enrollment doesn’t define a school’s classification. Nor does the team’s commitment or activity level. D1/D2/D3 is based on how much money schools spend on their sports programs (particularly football).

6,000 is a pretty good size campus, but if it is a commuter community that changes everything in regards to the culture.

Best bet is to find some target schools and make some quality visits. Now she has a better idea of what she is looking for. Possibly try reaching out to students/athletes of your potential schools instead of the coaches in your early steps — you will get a much better sense of the campus and team culture that way.

Dec 9, 2010
Do you mind me asking where she is? I’m in MA and so is the D3 DD plays for. I’m 100% sure it’s not the same school as DD’s school does significantly more (including plenty of conditioning)than some of the D3 schools some of her friends are at.
From what I’ve seen D3’s run from doing a ton of off season conditioning to not doing much at all.
She is at UMass - Dartmouth.

Jun 11, 2012
She is at UMass - Dartmouth.
Based on what you wrote that was actually my guess. DD is in downtown Boston where there is always something to do on weekends.
The other D3’s in the city all seem to do a decent amount of softball related activities in the off season. There is something on the schedule almost every day where DD is. They lift 2,early mornings a week, do small group runs and conditioning, can go hit pretty much whenever they want.
I don’t think she needs a bigger school or a different division to get what she wants, just the right school.

Dec 9, 2010
Based on what you wrote that was actually my guess. DD is in downtown Boston where there is always something to do on weekends.
The other D3’s in the city all seem to do a decent amount of softball related activities in the off season. There is something on the schedule almost every day where DD is. They lift 2,early mornings a week, do small group runs and conditioning, can go hit pretty much whenever they want.
I don’t think she needs a bigger school or a different division to get what she wants, just the right school.
Hence my questions.... she has some searching to do, and maybe we can go look at a few when I fly out to pick her up and bring her back home in May. I guess the softball question can’t really be addressed unless she talks with current players at those schools.

Jun 11, 2012
Hence my questions.... she has some searching to do, and maybe we can go look at a few when I fly out to pick her up and bring her back home in May. I guess the softball question can’t really be addressed unless she talks with current players at those schools.
Is she looking to stay on the Easy Coast? What is her major? There’s a bunch of schools in the city with decent softball programs. I live kind of between where your DD is and downtown Boston and we looked at a bunch of schools in the area before DD decided on hers

Dec 9, 2010
Is she looking to stay on the Easy Coast? What is her major? There’s a bunch of schools in the city with decent softball programs. I live kind of between where your DD is and downtown Boston and we looked at a bunch of schools in the area before DD decided on hers
Yes, she loves New England, so being 3000 miles from home is not a factor. Being closer to Boston might be good, because she feels so isolated. Right now I am just encouraging her to focus on her academics and kick butt on the field as they head to the Spring Games this coming week. I have also encouraged her to become part of a culture change and encourage more team interactions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13