Training frequency

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2019
No not really. Maybe your kid is too young yet. We were just starting to play at 9yrs old. Never mind in a serious training regimen.
My kids did the gymnastics, soccer, & cheerleading thing early on. Their Mom actually signed them up for softball.
Now they both play three sports and entering high school something has to give. Volleyball is the favorite sport currently and weight training 4 x a week to prep for that via the school Summer program.

All three of my daughters play volleyball, cheer and play softball. Wife was a cheerleader and she pushes cheer. One of my girls said earlier this week, this is the last year she’s going to cheer. You would have thought she said a cuss word. Mom was not happy.

Kids these days are too busy.

Apr 28, 2019
All three of my daughters play volleyball, cheer and play softball. Wife was a cheerleader and she pushes cheer. One of my girls said earlier this week, this is the last year she’s going to cheer. You would have thought she said a cuss word. Mom was not happy.

Kids these days are too busy.
Amen. Good to be well rounded. Everything in moderation.

Jun 8, 2016
Interesting piece on ESPN recently maybe you saw it. I believe it was called “ticking time bomb” or something to that effect. Talks about kids in sports training too much, being pushed too hard resulting in injuries. This example was basketball and knee and other injuries but applies to all sports.
Obviously anybody with a clue would alternate what they train if working on consecutive days. Maybe we throw on Mon, with some fielding and hit and do some baserunning/conditioning on Tues etc....
I personally like to do everything in one session. Pitch 1st, fielding, and finish with what everybody seems to enjoy hitting.
No need for practice day before or after tournaments because I want kids well rested. We also show up an hour early before games to practice so anything beyond that is really just overkill.

Not sure why you quoted what you quoted and then gave the response that you did but:

a) basketball is much different than softball/baseball especially regarding injures (with the exception of arm care for pitchers) and b) some of my generation (me included) and the generations before mine played baseball every day all day in the summer without much issue...difference was those were not game reps but reps playing wiffle ball,stickball,HR derby,etc,etc

Jun 8, 2016
FYI the kid in mention here is 9 so a lot of the stuff you bring up has no relevance.

To answer your "questions":

Does your D play any other sports?
She plays basketball...might be better at that than softball even though she doesn't play that as much (plays rec). Not super duper duper DUPER athletic like your kid but she is a pretty good athlete.
have any hobbies?
No cell phone for her even though every other kid on her team has one..we are holding out on that till at least MS..she cannot pay for it so what can she do?? She fills her time playing basketball in the front yard, riding her bike, reading, playing with her younger brothers, going to the pool, etc. Significant others are going to have to wait till HS.

Good enough for you Buddy Boy? Still going to call child services on me for playing too much ball with my kid??

You want to be like everybody else than do what everybody else is doing....

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019
FYI the kid in mention here is 9 so a lot of the stuff you bring up has no relevance.

To answer your "questions":

She plays basketball...might be better at that than softball even though she doesn't play that as much (plays rec). Not super duper duper DUPER athletic like your kid but she is a pretty good athlete.

No cell phone for her even though every other kid on her team has one..we are holding out on that till at least MS..she cannot pay for it so what can she do?? She fills her time playing basketball in the front yard, riding her bike, reading, playing with her younger brothers, going to the pool, etc. Significant others are going to have to wait till HS.

Good enough for you Buddy Boy? Still going to call child services on me for playing too much ball with my kid??

You want to be like everybody else than do what everybody else is doing....
Clueless Indeed.

Jun 8, 2016
Clueless Indeed.
Says the guy who buys his kid 10+ bats and then chooses the "best four" to use before a tournament...do you have to rent out a storage facility just for your kid's bats? :ROFLMAO:

@Frederick I apologize for the sidetrack (although the content was related I guess...). I think your DD is doing just fine with regards to the work put in. Keep at it!!

Edit: One thing I should mention is that my DD's outdoor practices with her team don't really work on fielding skills too much and hence a lot of the additional work is to cover that gap. She also doesn't take hitting or fielding lessons like a lot of kids do.

It is a family affair when we go to the field. I "work" with my 4 YO DS as well and the little one (1 YO) and Mom participate by shagging balls, etc. We then go and get frozen yogurt or snow cones after. It is exactly how I remember it with my father in the summer time. My uncle would come with us to the field and my father would work with my sister ( a year younger than I) and I almost every day in the summer and we would often get ice cream after. I have nothing but fond memories of that..best times I had playing ball. I have plenty of regrets but practicing/playing a game with my father too much isn't one of them.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
At 10yoa, you want the kid to fall in love with playing a sport. Training to help the kid play the sport better is fine... But going to lesson after lesson trying to make the kid great for 10U ball is a waste of time and money.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the kid may not want to play the sport after she turns 13YOA. Kids develop other interests. My DD#3 was a very good 14U pitcher....but, she wanted to play travel basketball and tennis. Other kids get serious about band, singing, science, etc.

When the kid hits 13YOA, she gets her new body. Then, she needs real training and a real practice schedule.

Nov 18, 2015
Frederick - I love the "workout" at the pool idea. Our pool club has a basketball court that could easily be used for ground balls and hitting tcb / limited flight balls.

I'm just always jealous of the time everyone has to do these things - I only have 3 kids - not "large" by any means, but I'm lucky I can make it to practice on time for a 5:30 or 6:00 start, and I'm the Head Coach! There's a reason the more successful people tend to be morning people. I just need to retire - this work stuff just gets in the way too much...

And this also isn't directed at the OP or anyone else, but just a general comment that Pattar reminded me of - we often feel like if we're not "training", our kids are falling behind. I wonder what our daughters will say in 10 years if we ask them - would they see it as "training", or see it as "playing catch in the back yard with Dad"?

Jun 8, 2016
But going to lesson after lesson trying to make the kid great for 10U ball is a waste of time and money.
Agree 100% with this. I always tell everybody I see that until everybody hits puberty, there is no use in comparing team A to team B or player A to player B.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm just always jealous of the time everyone has to do these things - I only have 3 kids - not "large" by any means, but I'm lucky I can make it to practice on time for a 5:30 or 6:00 start, and I'm the Head Coach! There's a reason the more successful people tend to be morning people. I just need to retire - this work stuff just gets in the way too much...
I get to work by 6 am most mornings and being a professor has its advantages in that I can pretty much set my own schedule as long as I make it to class and faculty meetings (yucck)..I try and set my class schedule such that all of the classes are in the morning or early afternoon. That said I spent most of 20's in the library/lab so you don't get something for nothing. Also pay isn't one of the advantages but you cannot have everything right? :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi