Training frequency

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2019
Steubenville, OH
My DD is trying hard to improve after an up and down first year of 10U. She has started seeing a pitching coach because she was really impressed with some of the pitchers this year and she wants to take BP any chance she gets. This is pretty new to me as far as really training her for a sport. How often should she be training in your opinions. An example right now is this week she sees her pitching coach twice and practices with her tournament team twice for hitting and fielding. Is this too much, too little, or seem about right for a 9 year old?

Oct 4, 2018
What you're doing sounds perfectly normal. Especially if she wants to be a pitcher. That will take extra time above and beyond any team stuff or "standard stuff".

We're in a bit of an "off season" now, so we work in the yard 3-4 days a week. Alternate pitching, hitting, fielding and do two of those in a session.

We'll keep that "at home" schedule during the season, but obviously adding practices and games/tournaments. During the season, the only day we don't do something softball is the day after a tournament. And we go pretty light the day before a tournament.

We have pitching and hitting lessons as well. They were weekly but now that many of the fundamentals are done we will back off to every other week.

Writing it down it sounds like a grind, and it kind of is. But it's driven more by my DD than me. I love the game and love to spend time with her.

Apr 28, 2019
My DD is trying hard to improve after an up and down first year of 10U. She has started seeing a pitching coach because she was really impressed with some of the pitchers this year and she wants to take BP any chance she gets. This is pretty new to me as far as really training her for a sport. How often should she be training in your opinions. An example right now is this week she sees her pitching coach twice and practices with her tournament team twice for hitting and fielding. Is this too much, too little, or seem about right for a 9 year old?
Sounds just about right. I like every other day personally. Don’t want to get burned out or cause any overuse injuries. Also allows for other fun things kids should be doing like going swimming and riding their bikes and such.

Jun 8, 2016
The typical in season schedule for my 9 YO DD is Monday she has practice and before practice we hit for 30 minutes. We will go to the field to hit and field on Tues or Wed. On Thurs she has hitting practice with the team (in a cage) so before we will do some fielding work and then will hit for 20 minutes or so before practice). The weekends she doesn't have games the team has outdoor fielding work so after practice we will hit in her team's cage. We might throw another day at the field/cage in there on weekends (Friday or Sunday) she doesn't play.

Jul 28, 2019
Steubenville, OH
Thanks for your feedback, guys. Sounds like we’re on a solid schedule. Trying to find a balance. It’s tough because, like most people, I want to give her every chance to succeed, but not at the expense of just having fun and being a kid.

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks for your feedback, guys. Sounds like we’re on a solid schedule. Trying to find a balance. It’s tough because, like most people, I want to give her every chance to succeed, but not at the expense of just having fun and being a kid.
In the summer time she has what, 7 or 8 hours during the day to do fun "kid stuff" before you come home from work and can work with her? Not saying you should work with her everyday but the whole not able to do fun stuff, in the summer at least, is silly. The problem is nowadays many kids (not saying yours) fill that time staring at their devices...

Jul 28, 2019
Steubenville, OH
In the summer time she has what, 7 or 8 hours during the day to do fun "kid stuff" before you come home from work and can work with her? Not saying you should work with her everyday but the whole not able to do fun stuff, in the summer at least, is silly. The problem is nowadays many kids (not saying yours) fill that time staring at their devices...
I agree about kids and their devices. I will say one of our favorite things to do this summer, when my schedule allows, has been to go down to this club we are members of. It has a pool, shelter houses, playground and a set up where the kids can play baseball/softball. We go down, workout, and then swim and cookout. My wife makes fun of us because we have to get some work in before we hit the pool.

Apr 28, 2019
No not really. Maybe your kid is too young yet. We were just starting to play at 9yrs old. Never mind in a serious training regimen.
My kids did the gymnastics, soccer, & cheerleading thing early on. Their Mom actually signed them up for softball.
Now they both play three sports and entering high school something has to give. Volleyball is the favorite sport currently and weight training 4 x a week to prep for that via the school Summer program.
Not to mention chores, boys, and oh have you heard of cell phones. Trying to get kids off cell phones is like taking your life in your hands. BIG punishment to be without it for 15 minutes.
No 7-8 free hours here Buddy Boy. Your in for a treat in a couple of years. Enjoy your time while you have it. Does your D play any other sports? have any hobbies?

Apr 28, 2019
I agree about kids and their devices. I will say one of our favorite things to do this summer, when my schedule allows, has been to go down to this club we are members of. It has a pool, shelter houses, playground and a set up where the kids can play baseball/softball. We go down, workout, and then swim and cookout. My wife makes fun of us because we have to get some work in before we hit the pool.
Sounds like the place to be.

Apr 28, 2019
Interesting piece on ESPN recently maybe you saw it. I believe it was called “ticking time bomb” or something to that effect. Talks about kids in sports training too much, being pushed too hard resulting in injuries. This example was basketball and knee and other injuries but applies to all sports.
Obviously anybody with a clue would alternate what they train if working on consecutive days. Maybe we throw on Mon, with some fielding and hit and do some baserunning/conditioning on Tues etc....
I personally like to do everything in one session. Pitch 1st, fielding, and finish with what everybody seems to enjoy hitting.
No need for practice day before or after tournaments because I want kids well rested. We also show up an hour early before games to practice so anything beyond that is really just overkill.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi