Tournament Weekend Observations:

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
A few observations:

1) "EZ-up" tents for shade are god's gift to softball specatators;

2) most umpires are fine, but some do not know the rules. For example, we had a catcher's glove interfere twice with the batters bat and the umpire awarded a ball instead of first base to the batter;

3) almost all of the team's coaches and fans conducted themselves well;

4) good pitching beats good hitting every time;

5) there is a big gap between the best teams and everyone else.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
[*]Hey, if you are on the 3rd floor, use the ice machine on the 3rd floor. Quit coming to my floor and taking my floor's ice leaving me with nothing. In fact, you don't need that cooler on wheels that is so large you have to have a license to drive it around. If your cooler takes 3 or more to lift it, it's too big.

EITHER 1) get up at 5:30 to be first at the ice machine(s) or 2) plan on buying it.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
A good breakfast is worth the extra $ per night
Always locate the park on a satellite map photo, park addresses may be quite a ways from the actual fields, and online map or GPS directions can be way off .
Sleepy players eating breakfast in PJs are kinda cute, and grumpy
Dont be the parent who sleeps on the floor, covered with a bath towel because 8 girls fell asleep on the beds and sofa in their room
Know where your DD is before you fall asleep, waking everyone up at 2am to find out whose room she crashed in can be embarrassing.
Driving home a long way Sunday night after finishing the championship game late sucks.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Driving home a long way Sunday night after finishing the championship game late sucks.

It's better than getting kicked out early!

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches work for breakfast, too.
You can never have too much ice, water or fruit.
Hats are a must to avoid Rudolph nose and raccoon eyes.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
How deep does a batter's box have to get before it gets repaired? We played at two facilities. One well maintained one ...

Mosquitoes are huge in the Midwest! With all the rain we've had in Illinois, they can carry away small children. I swear I saw one laugh at me when I put on the "Off."

3 inches of dust wasn't enough at last years ASA state last year. You couldn't see some of the kids cleats. You know the ump was just guessing about any play at the plate. It took a full minute for the dust to settle after the slide to play could resume.

You are lucky they didn't go for your wallet. Them skeeters are thug-tastic around Kankakee. I almost lost mine twice, they are evolving past blood me thinks.

Lesson learned. When one of your girls gives you flak for wearing 'shin socks', apparently ankle socks are what the cool coaches are wearing. DON'T roll them down to ankle sock length Olive Oil style to embarrass your girls. The embarrassing the girls part was a success, however exposing that pasty white flesh to the sun for the first time in a decade or more earned me a solid second degree sunburn. Ooops.

On the good breakfast angle, a hotel right next door to a cracker barrel is a WIN! It worth the extra $ if the rug rat is going to pack a few thousand calories of pancakes, sausage and biscuits down to start the day.

Moving from 10's to 12's is a big step in play level.
Moving from 10B to 12A should have a warning label.
How is it 13yo girls have bigger arms, forarms...and beerbellies, than ME?
It's just wrong when when the other teams catcher is taller than one of your batters...in her crouch.

May 11, 2009
12U State last weekend and I feel all of your pains CB!!
I have a few to add.....If you are a coach on third and you send your player on an infield fly with one out and the crowd (me) tells my DD to tag the runner, make sure when you look up at the crowd and say "That's three" when it is caught. That it is indeed three and not the second out or you will feel really foolish as one coach found out real fast.
No umps for 20 minutes then get screwed out of those 20 minutes to keep the tourney on time. That was not good.
EZ Up Tents Are In Deed Gods Gift until Mother Nature Decides She has Had Enough and Sends one over the fence and through the outfield. I guess that is what the stakes are for DUH!!!
Pitching indeed trumps hitting at 12U. Got us past the #3 team in the first round then the wheels fell off our pitching and it all fell apart.
CB you should know there are some bugs around here that we just really don't know what they are so we just call them River Bugs. And they are huge and bite hard!!
Sun Screen is fairly important!
Energy drinks are NOT!
6 hour lay over between games seems to zap a team when the parents run the kids to air conditioning on a 90 degree day. Another DUH I guess.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2010
When one of your girls offers you sunscreen double check to make sure it does not have sparkles. Otherwise you will spend the next hour or so on the field with your face sparkling and the girls in the dugout getting a great laugh out of it.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
A bunch of good things listed so I'm limited:

- One Port-a-potty at a field that is used from noon on Fri until 7 pm on Sunday. By Sunday - no one goes unless it's an emergency.
- Using only 1 umpire per game
- Diamonds spreadout all over creation

Positives
Having a motor home available to use for shade, meals and a bathroom
Seeing kids that have struggled step up their play perform well - that tops all of the negatives and makes the entire weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414