Tournament Championship? But DD Didn't Play....?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Agree with the poster who said playing time should match the competitiveness of the team culture and the expectations associated with joining that type of team. I believe there is a spot for all kids who want to play softball. Maybe rec league is better suited for some kids who want to play more for the fun of it in a less intense environment. In these situations, giving all kids an opportunity and lots of playing time is a primary goal. There are other kids who want the challenge of earning playing time in their preferred position and work their tail off to get there. These teams seem to be the travel ball variety. There are other kids who want the play for their school (middle or high school) who like the opportunity to play for school pride and with their fellow student peers.

To Ken's original post. I absolutely feel that ALL kids on a team have contributed to the success of the team even though they might not have played in the championship game. For example, when I played varsity soccer my senior year, I was on the second string team that rarely got playing time but we always scrimmaged the starters team in practice and made them more competitive. Our team went undefeated that season and we all had a blast and no one made us 2nd stringers feel like we didn't contribute to the success of the team.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Rob Gronkowski sure seemed pretty happy that his teammates won the Superbowl.
Of course, not apples-to-apples to Ken's post, but he did sit out the entire championship game (due to injury).
He didn't help them win that final game, but he sure did help them get there.
And one can only guess about the coaching input he may have had during the game.
I'm sure he wasn't just a cheering spectator...

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Agree with the poster who said playing time should match the competitiveness of the team culture and the expectations associated with joining that type of team.

Coaches are pretty good at matching playing time with the stated objectives of the team since those stated objectives come from the coach.

I think the bigger question is whether the stated objectives match what kids need and want.

To that, some would say that if you don't want to be on such a team, find another.

True, but then there's a larger question - Does the broader world of travel softball do a good job of providing what kids need and want? Are there too many highly competitive teams? Are there not enough?

Rob Gronkowski sure seemed pretty happy that his teammates won the Superbowl.
Of course, not apples-to-apples to Ken's post, but he did sit out the entire championship game (due to injury).
He didn't help them win that final game, but he sure did help them get there.
And one can only guess about the coaching input he may have had during the game.
I'm sure he wasn't just a cheering spectator...

You'd hope that a non-playing teammate would feel this way. But I wouldn't hold a 10-year-old softball player to the same standard. Not that you were.

Jun 12, 2015
Coaches are pretty good at matching playing time with the stated objectives of the team since those stated objectives come from the coach.

Honest coaches, anyway. Some will say whatever they think the players and/or parents want to hear to get them to sign on the dotted line, unfortunately. It can be hard to tell how they really are sometimes until you're in the thick of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06