Tournament Championship? But DD Didn't Play....?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
There's lots of things that play into a situation like this. What kind of team is it? If it is a B team playing local tournaments, there's no reason why a kid should sit the entire weekend. If you're an A team with aspirations of winning PGF nationals, then I can see a kid sitting for that entire tournament. I have heard of girls who were #15 on a 16u roster and rarely played, but they got a scholarship because they showed they were capable of sitting the bench.

A couple of years ago there was a situation in the org DD was in. This girl hit 11th for her team every game of the year. When the team went to the NSA B World Series, she was told she had the lowest batting average and she was going to sit the whole tournament. After she didn't get a single AB the first 2 games, she went home. The rest of the parents talked trash about how she was a terrible teammate the rest of the week, the head coach's wife #1 trash talker. I told her she was nuts. You don't decide to sit a kid for the WS especially when your team is going to finish 30th.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
How many kids have been on a tournament team that won a championship, but didn't get to play?

I'm guessing you mean just the Championship game?
and that they played a reasonable amount through pool play and early elimination games?

If that's the case, then the "suck it up buttercup" comment works for me.
Use it as motivation to earn a spot of the field for the next champ game.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
and that they played a reasonable amount through pool play and early elimination games?

I took it as didn't get to play the entire tournament - and I'm assuming not playing meant defense.

Jun 29, 2013
I'm thInking the coach is an rear for inviting a play to take a spot on the team if the team has no intention of playing her in a tournament. Sitting on Sunday is one thing. But asking any kid to sit an entire weeekend is poor management. This isn't the World Championship or NCAA tourney. If you can't find room for her let another team who will play her select her.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I read this as not getting to play in the championship game, just that one game.

I can't comment on that, because my DDs have never been on teams that would sit an uninjured player out for an entire game. They've been on teams with 11-13 players, and in some cases the teams could only come up with 9 defensive players in a game, due to absences or injuries. (One time DD 3 was in a tournament where in a game or two they had 11 batters and 9 fielders, because 2 players were injured but could still bat).

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW

The championship game. Apologies for lack of clarity! (I had a thought and threw it out without thinking enough!) I'd expand what I was getting at to playing time as well. I've updated the post and hopefully it makes more sense.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Last year, DD was on one of her program's U18 teams. she was one of the best players and saw very little bench time.
she was brought "up" to play on the Gold team in two tournaments that she thoroughly enjoyed.

she found that it was more rewarding riding the pine and playing intermittently with a team of more serious ballplayers than being the big fish on a team of girls who were more concerned with what they were doing after the game was over.

(we are with a new program this year.)

Dec 8, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
There's lots of things that play into a situation like this. What kind of team is it? If it is a B team playing local tournaments, there's no reason why a kid should sit the entire weekend. If you're an A team with aspirations of winning PGF nationals, then I can see a kid sitting for that entire tournament. I have heard of girls who were #15 on a 16u roster and rarely played, but they got a scholarship because they showed they were capable of sitting the bench.

A couple of years ago there was a situation in the org DD was in. This girl hit 11th for her team every game of the year. When the team went to the NSA B World Series, she was told she had the lowest batting average and she was going to sit the whole tournament. After she didn't get a single AB the first 2 games, she went home. The rest of the parents talked trash about how she was a terrible teammate the rest of the week, the head coach's wife #1 trash talker. I told her she was nuts. You don't decide to sit a kid for the WS especially when your team is going to finish 30th.

If that's the way you felt, it probably would have been more beneficial for you and your DD to stand up to the coach before the other player left. Waiting for the player to leave is a dollar short and a day late.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
DD played for a team where she only played 2 innings in outfield and 1 inning pitching only in pool games. Bracket she never played. Just sat the bench, didn't even get to bat. This team kept bringing in guest players with the hope of them joining. They never joined and the team was lucky to win 1 game all weekend long. The coach even admit that the team was formed to showcase his daughter. Girls kept quitting and they never could get new girls to stay. Needless to say, that team don't exist anymore. They did have really nice uniforms that dd still haves today...and since she hardly play, the uniform still looks new.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2015
she found that it was more rewarding riding the pine and playing intermittently with a team of more serious ballplayers than being the big fish on a team of girls who were more concerned with what they were doing after the game was over.

(we are with a new program this year.)

I predict this is what's going to happen with DD. She has high expectations of herself and seems confused when other girls don't feel the same. We're doing an agility class and she's always telling me how this girl or that girl was cheating on the exercises and how will they ever get better if they don't do it right? She's not being gossipy at all, she just doesn't get it. Why do they not want to do their best? Why is this girl always playing on her phone in the dugout instead of cheering? etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma