Torn Meniscus Injury?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2013
Had problems with my knee for years and it finally swelled up bad enough they ordered an MRI. My tear is sideways through the meniscus, basically split into 2 sheets. They told me there is nothing they can do for it, just live with it until it starts catching bad enough the knee locks and then they will have to remove it.

I believe that minor knee pain can be treated using conventional household methods, ice, rest, compression. Rest is vital to recovery, by staying away from activities that may aggravate the injury you give the body time to recover and prevent recurrence. The amount of time taken to recover is dependent on the severity of the injury.According to the jumper's knee book applying ice to the injured knee not only reduces inflammation but also relieves pain. Ice should be used in 15 to 20 minute intervals, as any longer periods may cause damage to nerve endings and affect circulation.

Apr 13, 2011
Maine
The meniscus has very little blood flow, so it often does not heal. Typically, only small tears at the outer edge of the meniscus (in what doctors call the red zone) will heal with rest. If your daughter had a slight tear, and played on it, she probably has an even larger tear now, and why she is experiencing more pain. I needed exploratory arthroscopy to find out what exactly was going on after tearing mine. After surgery the doctor showed me the pictures he had taken in my knee, and my meniscus was hanging on by a thread and looked like a rat tail. They removed all of it and told me that I would eventually need a knee replacement as a result of not having a meniscus. After surgery I was down for eight weeks before being able to run full out. If your daughter says it hurts, don't push it, and I recommend getting her back to the doctors. It's not worth the risk.

Bleacher Bum

Avid student of the game
Aug 29, 2013
NorCal
As has been said by others, if she hasn't had an MRI, she should get one. I don't know about differences between adult and kid healing, but from everything I've read, depending on the tear type, tears in the outer 'red' area might heal because it does get some blood flow. Tears in the inner area generally do not (at least in adults - me? 50+). I partially tore mine last year and was able to function, until I tried to play soccer and it got worse. Had the MRI, confirmed the tear, had it scoped, and pretty much gave up the crutches after getting home (outpatient procedure). Wore a compression sleeve, did precautionary icing any time I was sitting, and was back being a weekend warrior within 4-5 weeks. Now (8 months later) cannot even tell anything was done, other than the 2 small scars. I'm sure that everyone's experience is different, and kids recover more quickly, but if hers is still bothering her I would think that you either have to shut her down totally until it heals (if it will), or get it scoped. The only time I would not consider surgery would be if they talked about removing it.

Dec 7, 2011
I believe that minor knee pain can be treated using conventional household methods, ice, rest, compression. Rest is vital to recovery, by staying away from activities that may aggravate the injury you give the body time to recover and prevent recurrence. The amount of time taken to recover is dependent on the severity of the injury.According to the jumper's knee book applying ice to the injured knee not only reduces inflammation but also relieves pain. Ice should be used in 15 to 20 minute intervals, as any longer periods may cause damage to nerve endings and affect circulation.

I believe knee pain can be treated via amputation......

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Update....a little later. Sorry for the late update. DD had the MRI over a month ago. Was not a torn meniscus as originally thought by Dr. Turns out it is something called a strained IT band. It is fairly common in runners. Gave her some exercises to help out. Still has some pain in the area, but is playing through with no further issues. Seems to be getting better every week.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Still has some pain in the area, but is playing through with no further issues. Seems to be getting better every week.

I'm glad your DD is doing well, but if the body is still in pain, I would be careful.

While some believe it courageous (it isn't) or the athletic thing to do, I was dumb enough to "play through pain" and am now paying for it. The body produces pain as a warning, not an indication of healing.

I am not a doctor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently, :) but after multiple knee surgeries, one replacement and another one on the horizon, I would like to think I would do it differently if given the opportunity. Probably rest and light rehab is the best option after an injury. Medication should be for after any activity to help, not prior to it to mask the pain.

JMO

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Kids heal better. I tore mine 2 1/2 years ago. Doctor told me to leave it alone and let it heal. He advised against surgery because of the arthritis I have. 6 months with a brace and right now my knee is about 85%. Pretty good for 59. Do what the Doc says and if you don't agree, go to another one for a second opinion.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
I had the "bucket handle" tear last May during a softball game and the knee completely locked up. A week later I had it surgically repaired, which apparently is an unusual route to take for a (then) 42 year old. Doc told me it would be six months to heal completely, it's now a year and a half later and it's still painful and has limited range. I would do whatever possible to avoid surgery designed to "repair" the meniscus, but if it's just a "trim" I have heard that is much simpler and generally more successful.

Dec 7, 2011
I had the "bucket handle" tear last May during a softball game and the knee completely locked up. A week later I had it surgically repaired, which apparently is an unusual route to take for a (then) 42 year old. Doc told me it would be six months to heal completely, it's now a year and a half later and it's still painful and has limited range. I would do whatever possible to avoid surgery designed to "repair" the meniscus, but if it's just a "trim" I have heard that is much simpler and generally more successful.

Doc told me at around that same age - "Mike, ya are getting older and ya gotta think about the cost/benefit risk scenario...." Essentially he told me to "Fugetaboutit". I did. Am I still suffering from the same complaints that brought me to looking into the surgery - yes.....

Goes back to my conclusion about these damageable little fibrocartilaginous structures - They are like Yugo's,... once they go bad just throw them away cuz no reasonable $$ is gonna bring them back to life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01