Torn Meniscus Injury?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Has anyone had any experience dealing with a torn meniscus in the knee? DD has a slight tear from earlier in summer. They are supposed to heal on their own. Doctor has us on a wait and see typw treatment. DD was able to play through the pain all summer. She has had a couple weeks off now. We are getting ready to get going again and she mentions it still is bothering her. How long does it take for the pain to go away completely? Is it time to get another opinion? I don't want this to linger into her freshman year and all of a sudden we have to get her knee scoped. If she does get a scope, what is the down time? Just trying to get some insight on a frustrating injury.

Oct 25, 2009
Has she had an MRI? I don't believe meniscus "heals", I believe it is "repaired", instead. From my experience, torn pieces of meniscus can get trapped in the knee joint and cause some major damage; not to mention the pain it can cause even with minor tears.

Insurance companies don't like to pay for MRIs. An MRI can show what could be easily repaired; without waiting to see if it "gets worse." Insist on the MRI!

Is the doctor an Orthopedist? If not, see an Orthopedist!

Trust your DD when she says it's bothering her!!!!!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I had this from a skiing accident and the healing was never complete. Got to about 90% but had issues with changes in the weather and it took over a year of biking and swimming to get to that point. A slip years later and the tear folded over which required surgery. Recovery from the surgery was 6 weeks but remained tender for a few months. I don't know how professional athletes come back so quickly without pills or shots.

I don't believe cartilage will heal itself. It's not like a bone that will mend. Once torn....

Dec 20, 2012
If can have it cleaned up, be back in a couple of weeks, no big deal. If it needs to be repaired you are looking 6-8 weeks off. Get an MRI if possible.

Dec 7, 2011
LOT's of experience with torn meniscus.

Firstly - they do NOT heal.

Second there is a wide range in this problem:
A- slight tear around the edge = (not too much of a problem and could get successfully cleaned up in a scoped-knee event - but I would wait for a second flare-up after the first inflammation goes away.)
B- moderate tear, still on the edges - not where the weight normally compresses - this many times can cause "clicking" or "locking" of the knee. = This one is a bugger because it will get continually aggravated unless it is scoped to cut out the "flap" of cartilage that is disconnected.
C- tear in the weight-bearing area of the meniscus between the upper & lower leg bones = This is the one you don't want. This sucker means consistent aggravation and potentially removal of the meniscus overall which then leads to pain and a quickly degrading joint.

DD has an "A" and we are doing nothing and we feel it was the best choice.
I have a "B" and we are doing nothing and this is what my doctor & I concluded is the best scenario for old farts like me with limited game-days in my future.
Good friend at work has "C" and is having all kinds of issues and is limited to swimming and is now considering an artificial knee (for some reason he thinks he has another game day ahead of him..... :)

Dec 7, 2011
If can have it cleaned up, be back in a couple of weeks, no big deal. If it needs to be repaired you are looking 6-8 weeks off. Get an MRI if possible.

Oh ya, I know of allot of kids that had successful A/B type "cleanups" done and they were back 100% in no time.

Also the Slingster has got it completely right here = if you don't get the MRI you are shooting in the dark. (only thing that can be determined without the MRI is the clicking/locking of a flap - but ya won't know if it is in the weight-bearing area or not)

Jun 22, 2008
Had problems with my knee for years and it finally swelled up bad enough they ordered an MRI. My tear is sideways through the meniscus, basically split into 2 sheets. They told me there is nothing they can do for it, just live with it until it starts catching bad enough the knee locks and then they will have to remove it.

Dec 20, 2012
Oh ya, I know of allot of kids that had successful A/B type "cleanups" done and they were back 100% in no time.

Also the Slingster has got it completely right here = if you don't get the MRI you are shooting in the dark. (only thing that can be determined without the MRI is the clicking/locking of a flap - but ya won't know if it is in the weight-bearing area or not)

Last year Iplaying b-ball I tore my ACL, MCL, lateral and medial meniscus. The lateral did exactly what you talked about as moderate/ locked up. Dr. called it a "bucket hinge". No problem now after being cleaned up but everyone I have talk to said that later in life arthritis will be a problem. I'm not sure I remember a meniscus tear ever happening when I was younger. Now it seems every couple of weeks a kid we know is getting scoped.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG