Labrum tear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2023
We just found out that my 15 year old daughter has a small tear in her labrum. She is a pitcher. Doctor recommended rehab with physical therapy. Was just curious if others have been successful in rehabbing a labral tear and getting back to playing, especially pitching, without surgery.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I tore my labrum playing tennis, my serve did me in. One ortho recommended surgery, a second opinion was wait and see. I never got the surgery. I am guessing that it's more likely that she did it throwing overhand but that's a question for the ortho. How is her overhand throwing motion? Players with a very high release point and no shoulder tilt are susceptible to this kind of injury. One other possibility is that she doesn't open (turn sideways) enough or at the right time and this is the issue. You need to find the cause or it's just going to happen again. The therapist might also have some thoughts on this. Back in my time shoulder surgery was not very effective, but now with all the arthroscopic technology I'm guessing the outcomes are better.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We just found out that my 15 year old daughter has a small tear in her labrum. She is a pitcher. Doctor recommended rehab with physical therapy. Was just curious if others have been successful in rehabbing a labral tear and getting back to playing, especially pitching, without surgery.

The answer is yes, but everyone tries to come back too quick from the rehab and sets themselves back a bunch more weeks.
You have to wait until it is REALLY healed, build back slowly and not just go all out when it feels like it is OK.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My daughter's teammate was just diagnosed with a torn labrum, but the doctor recommended surgery. She's out at least 3 months. She tore it swinging.

Nov 18, 2022
infielder on my daughters team did same in Nov- one dr said surgery second opinion said rehab- she did rehab and at a certain point after a looong break with rehab of around 3 months I think they started with a very slow throwing progression of 25% power and so many throws- took awhile to build back up- she has playing all summer with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
My ds is a baseball pitcher and tore his a few years ago while warming up in the OF. We opted for the PT route as there is no going back after surgery. Luckily for him it worked out very well. We shut him down and did PT with one who was experienced in rehabbing baseball pitchers. Then he did throwing progression. I’d say it took about a full 6 mos before he could pitch like he did before injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi