Todays "Rec Play of the Day"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2012
Todays "Rec Play of the Day" is a Running play.

Our #3 hitter, who is an excellent athlete but awful base runner, slaps a hard ground ball up the middle. She races into first, where I am relaxing in the Coaches box, and makes a turn. The ball squirts loose from the Center Fielder, but not by a lot. #1 or #2 hitters would be heading to Second by now, but I don't send this young lady - for reasons which will soon become all too obvious.

Suddenly the Third Base coach hollers out "GO!!!". #3 hitter dashes halfway to 2nd, stops dead, and watches the play in Center field.

Now there is a raucous chorus of "go!" "go back!" "go!" "go back!" raised from the dugout, the bleachers and the gad-flys behind the back-stop, all ending in a sad little run down and a put out.

If you have guessed that the 3rd base coach was the runners Dad, you win a trip to Hawaii.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Quite honestly I do not know how the players deal with all the conflicting advice being yelled at them.

I think the Original Post shows EXACTLY how rec players deal with all the conflicting advice yelled at them.

Normally once they get a bit more seasoned they start ignoring the crowd and making their own decisions or taking cues from their coaches. Well most of the time anyway.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
This is one of the reasons we prohibit parents from yelling instructions from behind the fence. On our TB team the 1B coach is responsible for the base runner from home to 2B, once she reaches 2B the 3B coach takes over.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In that situation, it would be impossible not to yell. I hope that you chatted with the coach, about why he over ruled your decision to have the girl stay at 1st.

Mar 31, 2012
In that situation, it would be impossible not to yell. I hope that you chatted with the coach, about why he over ruled your decision to have the girl stay at 1st.

Here's how the conversation went.

Me: Say Dan, who was it who yelled out "GO!!!!" over there?
Dan: (Firmly) Me.
Me: Oh. And, why'd you do that, Dan?
Dan: Well it seemed pretty obvious she should have gone!
Me: Turned out though - not so much - didn't it, Dan?
Dan: (Hangs head) Yes.

It was kinda like a Troy Palamalu Head and Shoulders commercial.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
College nephew last year was filling in a few games helping coach a rec baseball team during the summer. ( 10 or 11 yo ) Kid who doesn't play much hit a fly ball that got away from the RF, nephew sends him to second for a double, kid runs through the bag ( like running through first ) ball is thrown and he's tagged out walking back to second.

Time is called and nephew asks him " why the heck did you run through second "?

Runner says, " I didn't know What to do, I've never made it to second before " .

Nephew just smiled and said " now you have, and we will work on that next practice ".

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Todays "Rec Play of the Day" is a Running play.

Our #3 hitter, who is an excellent athlete but awful base runner, slaps a hard ground ball up the middle. She races into first, where I am relaxing in the Coaches box, and makes a turn. The ball squirts loose from the Center Fielder, but not by a lot. #1 or #2 hitters would be heading to Second by now, but I don't send this young lady - for reasons which will soon become all too obvious.

Suddenly the Third Base coach hollers out "GO!!!". #3 hitter dashes halfway to 2nd, stops dead, and watches the play in Center field.

Now there is a raucous chorus of "go!" "go back!" "go!" "go back!" raised from the dugout, the bleachers and the gad-flys behind the back-stop, all ending in a sad little run down and a put out.

If you have guessed that the 3rd base coach was the runners Dad, you win a trip to Hawaii.

It's rec ball! It's boring without things like this. My best players (tb players) have the green light on anything they can think of try to pull off. Get out? So what!? Try it again next time.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I got one

Team is down by 3, 1 out runners on 1st and 2nd. the runner on 1st is lollygagging back to the bag, so the next pitch the catcher throws down to first and gets the out.

The runner straying from the bag even though with second occupied there is no where for her to go.

Rec play of the night.

Oh wait sorry that was in the WCWS last night.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Here's how the conversation went.
Dan: (Hangs head) Yes.

THAT is funny.

We had kind of an opposite play in my son's 10u rec game last week. Runner on 2nd with no outs.
Pop up foul, 1B makes a great catch at the dugout fence.
We hear the 3BC yelling "Go, Go!", and all the parents yelling "No! No!"

I was very impressed that this kid, a 10yr old that does not play travel ball, knew enough to go back and tag on a foul ball ( he did make it)

The parents in the crowd were all yelling NO because they didn't know you can tag on a foul ball :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG