High School playing time/positions, How to ask...from the kid's perspective.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2015
this HS stuff that goes off the rails is what I always see travel players (and parents) struggle with. Be it not playing normal position, not playing at all, erroneous training advice, etc, etc, etc. It is what it is and player only has 2 real choices. 1) Work harder ie "be so good they can't ignore you". or 2) not play for HS team.

I've seen it all with the HS coach favorite minions, to the DD of the booster club, to the DD of coaches best friend, to playing girls from certain travel orgs, to changing of rules to benefit certain players, to fudging of stats to help support their idiotic decisions, the list is long and stinky. I've personally witnessed games where 3B had 5 throwing errors and only credited with 1. The 1b is at fault for not being 7'4", correct???

Jun 8, 2016
If he isn't out to get your kid then maybe he is just incompetent in which case there should
be other additional evidence (staying with the crime show theme..) where he is showing his incompetence (playing the wrong kid, making bad game decisions, horrible practices, etc) Is this the case?

Of course the other possibility is that you have a bit of a bias as a parent...;)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019
this HS stuff that goes off the rails is what I always see travel players (and parents) struggle with. Be it not playing normal position, not playing at all, erroneous training advice, etc, etc, etc. It is what it is and player only has 2 real choices. 1) Work harder ie "be so good they can't ignore you". or 2) not play for HS team.

I've seen it all with the HS coach favorite minions, to the DD of the booster club, to the DD of coaches best friend, to playing girls from certain travel orgs, to changing of rules to benefit certain players, to fudging of stats to help support their idiotic decisions, the list is long and stinky. I've personally witnessed games where 3B had 5 throwing errors and only credited with 1. The 1b is at fault for not being 7'4", correct???
In addition, someone said, maybe the coaches DD and the others of her starters play for the "batbusters" of the area. That is not the case DD plays for one of the most recognized orgs in the area. The org the coaches DD plays for is seen as mid tier by many.

We already do all the things you are supposed to do. She goes all out, loudest in the dugout. only bench player to come out of the dugout for high 5s when the defense comes off the field.

Jul 14, 2018
The travel team connection sounds like it’s definitely a factor, you haven’t mentioned how the years of the incumbent players stack up. Are they all seniors? For better or worse, the upper classmen will probably get most of the playing time.

DD is a freshman on a team with six committed seniors. Those kids are going to play, no matter how good DD is (she’s not that good). And going by the stats you posted, the incumbent 3B is a pretty darned good hitter.

Can your kid play OF? So many TB kids are used to being the best players around, and have played the infield since 8U since that’s where the best players go through the early ages. Our HS had 24 TB players show up to tryouts, but I was surprised only six of them lined up with the outfielders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 27, 2019
The travel team connection sounds like it’s definitely a factor, you haven’t mentioned how the years of the incumbent players stack up. Are they all seniors? For better or worse, the upper classmen will probably get most of the playing time.

DD is a freshman on a team with six committed seniors. Those kids are going to play, no matter how good DD is (she’s not that good). And going by the stats you posted, the incumbent 3B is a pretty darned good hitter.

Can your kid play OF? So many TB kids are used to being the best players around, and have played the infield since 8U since that’s where the best players go through the early ages. Our HS had 24 TB players show up to tryouts, but I was surprised only six of them lined up with the outfielders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3rd, SS, CF, P1, and RF are all seniors. All played in the org at one point(not sure of current travel status). Current LF/backup 2B is a freshman and plays for chosen org. 1st is a junior and both C and 2nd are juniors that play for the same team under the chosen org. All else are sophomores.

Also, no problem playing outfield, she is more than capable and better than at least 2 of them IMO. Part of the original ask was how to get considered at other spots. something I got on her about was she only lined up for third in tryouts, I know she can outplay current 2B and definitely back up 2B. I get it that seniors will play. The way this team looks is current 1st is not very good. Current 2nd is tall, lean and slowish, she should be on first with DD at second IMO. Starting CF and RF are slow on the first step and rarely make catches outside of a five step radius. SS and 3rd are solid players the DD isn't good enough to displace as seniors. LF isn't good enough to offensively to earn the spot over anyone else on the bench, IMO the bench are interchangeable on defense with current LF.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles