Tired of pathetic bat durability

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Thanks for the replies. They use leather balls in the pitching machine at school and her machine at home uses leather. Don't know about not using a ghost on a machine...it pitches slower than a human. All the other broken bats were during games or regular practice.
This was yesterday's ghost.View attachment 23844

This is what causes bats to break like that... There are one piece bats available, that would not break like your ghost, but players like the comfort/feel/performance of the two piece bats....

If she hits a lot off the handle, I'd get her a 1 piece bat to practice with...

1631626796801.png

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
Also, DD never uses her Ghost on heavy balls as well, not certain it matters, but why take the chance. tee work, soft toss, and of course games, never anything but wiffle or real balls otherwise.

Oct 4, 2018
Any Anderson Rocketech alloy!!!

*on a side note, her new meta has over 2.5k cuts easy on it and its in perfect shape. DD does use the barrel though, lots of bats breaking because the young ladies, and for that matter boys, hit the throat and ends and that destroys them JAT

Amen to that.

This is not a comment to the Original Poster or anyone else, but my older daughter broker her Ghost Advanced at the 10 month mark because she hit the ball an inch above her hands. Should a bat break with one bat hit off the hands? Probably not. But it was a horrible hit and they sent us a new bat.

Both my girls have an Anderson Rocketech alloy. It's for those cold, February morning games.

Oct 4, 2018
Thanks for the replies. They use leather balls in the pitching machine at school and her machine at home uses leather. Don't know about not using a ghost on a machine...it pitches slower than a human. All the other broken bats were during games or regular practice.
This was yesterday's ghost.

Part of the reason not to use the game bat in BP is that all bats have a number of hits on them until they break. Let's just say it's 5,000. If you spend 4,000 of those in BP, you get far fewer in the game.

If she has a pitching machine at home and one at practice, she might be hitting thousands of balls per month. And that's great. Awesome stuff. In that case, I'd probably get her a wood bat. ;)

Oct 4, 2018
Surprised the prism broke but I guess no matter how well bats are made they’ll all break eventually (some earlier than others sadly). Demarini bats are usually pretty tough though. DD’s had her prism for a while now and it’s held up pretty good but she’s a slapper who doesn’t make a ton of hard contact. The ghost on the other hand it seems like one breaks everyday. Such a hot bat that I’ve looked into so many times but every time I’m ready to pay the $400 price tag I think about how many bats I’d have to buy to get through a year of school ball and travel ball lol.

The answer is 1.

And you can get them for $350 pretty easily.

Sep 12, 2021
I gave her a mako for Christmas when she was in 10u. She hit her first home run with that bat. It was passed down to her sister and subsequently to younger players on rec ball teams. It was still plugging along last time I saw it.

I'm trying to talk her into trying something other than a ghost or prism. She did not like the mantra or RXT. The problem is trying to find bats to try out. Locally, it's hard to even find a new bat without ordering one. And online, you order it, you own it. At roughly $400 a pop, it gets too expensive quickly.

She's decided to use one of the prisms as a practice bat and the custom prism and new ghost as game bats. That's if they ever get returned. Both companies claim there trying to catch up. You know covid...blah blah blah.

May 12, 2016
I gave her a mako for Christmas when she was in 10u. She hit her first home run with that bat. It was passed down to her sister and subsequently to younger players on rec ball teams. It was still plugging along last time I saw it.

I'm trying to talk her into trying something other than a ghost or prism. She did not like the mantra or RXT. The problem is trying to find bats to try out. Locally, it's hard to even find a new bat without ordering one. And online, you order it, you own it. At roughly $400 a pop, it gets too expensive quickly.

She's decided to use one of the prisms as a practice bat and the custom prism and new ghost as game bats. That's if they ever get returned. Both companies claim there trying to catch up. You know covid...blah blah blah.
I'm not saying buy her a Mako as her primary bat, just for the cages :). But seems like you seem to have an abundance of bats lying around LOL

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06