Tired of pathetic bat durability

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 2, 2019
My daughter is smaller for her age and she’s a contact hitter who has never broken a bat. Despite that, I still have to say I factor feedback on durability into our bat purchases. I think most of us on here understand that bat makers are trying to balance performance and durability. As a busy family we don’t want to be dealing with frequent bat returns. Some of the feedback within this thread suggests that some manufacturers may have pushed a little too far in the pursuit of top flight performance

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Time for some tough love.

Bats break.

This has been happening since before our DD’s were playing softball.

Worked with a mom whose dd broke plenty of Easton Stealth’s.

DD broke a black/purple Stealth Speed a couple winters ago.

It is going to happen. Clucking about it on a forum won’t fix it.

And if your player is young, there are 179 more important things to worry about. I was there once. Don’t put yourself through it. Most young kids aren’t swinging a bat hard enough to break them.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
Time for some tough love.

Bats break.

This has been happening since before our DD’s were playing softball.

Worked with a mom whose dd broke plenty of Easton Stealth’s.

DD broke a black/purple Stealth Speed a couple winters ago.

It is going to happen. Clucking about it on a forum won’t fix it.

And if your player is young, there are 179 more important things to worry about. I was there once. Don’t put yourself through it. Most young kids aren’t swinging a bat hard enough to break them.
I get your general point, but I don't agree with all aspects of your post. It would definitely be the easy route to dismiss the feedback on the forum as hens clucking, but you could also consider that the message board might be a pretty good cross section of the bat market. So if I'm the parent of smaller contact hitter (not a bat breaker) and I'm saying that I'm justifiably influenced by bat durability feedback when I make a $300 purchase, well that might be important.... Same thing with the original poster - in that case, we have a customer that is justifiably frustrated because he's waiting on an amazing 7 bat warranty replacements. He's another guy that's going to make a decision with his pocket book here in the next couple of months. These decisions become market forces and you can bet that good manufacturers will respond.

On the flip side, maybe there will always be a segment of the bat market that is willing to chase performance no matter the cost. One bat model gets a lot of feedback about durability, but you still see a million of those bats out there performing well in the hands of so many hitters - so maybe it's a little overblown or the market hasn't corrected yet.

You've got some great perspective though, and you're right that most parents (like me) shouldn't spend too much time worrying about this. I hate this saying, but bat breakage falls into the 'it is what it is' category. As parents we accept that our daughters have a really expensive hobby that we love watching, so we just pay...and continue to enjoy it while it lasts.

Jun 8, 2016
A $400 dollar bat won't fix a $5 swing and because my DD has a $2.50 swing I haven't spent more than $200 on any bat. If you have the money and just like buying bats..knock yourself out. Personally I like having enough to eat every day..

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
After how many bats, you havent thought about getting a BP bat? instead complain on a forum about durability.
Not being mean, but at what point do you think...hmmm...maybe I will just pick up a tank and have her use that for all the machine ball hitting.
I am betting these people arent buying high quality leather balls every week or anything. All your bats are breaking during
the machine work. Then maybe something is wrong and needs to change. First thing, get a tank. Heck, find a
Mizuno Ti or old Mako...and i know its taboo...but people do practice with wood as well.
Who cares if its not what she really likes...its machine work and save the bats.

Second, why are you paying retail for bats...thats problem number 2...j/k...but serious :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
Daughter has 2 demarini fnx. Uses one for BP machines live whatever and one for games. Both still in great shape. Through winter, HS, travel and now into fall. Bats have been through all kinds of weather and are a tank which is obviously why demarini is discontinuing them. Another thought is if so many bats are breaking on you then your grand daughter might not be swinging the right drop....that is too much power for the bat structure. If she's in a drop 10 might be ready for thr drop 9

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I get your general point, but I don't agree with all aspects of your post. It would definitely be the easy route to dismiss the feedback on the forum as hens clucking, but you could also consider that the message board might be a pretty good cross section of the bat market. So if I'm the parent of smaller contact hitter (not a bat breaker) and I'm saying that I'm justifiably influenced by bat durability feedback when I make a $300 purchase, well that might be important.... Same thing with the original poster - in that case, we have a customer that is justifiably frustrated because he's waiting on an amazing 7 bat warranty replacements. He's another guy that's going to make a decision with his pocket book here in the next couple of months. These decisions become market forces and you can bet that good manufacturers will respond.
While I agree a little...you have to look into the fact that your breaking bats doing one
specific thing and its not at the plate hitting...so there may be an issue with whats going on

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Another thought is if so many bats are breaking on you then your grand daughter might not be swinging the right drop....that is too much power for the bat structure. If she's in a drop 10 might be ready for thr drop 9

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thats another point I didnt want to get into, but very good post!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles