Tipping Pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Does throwing full pitch from behind a screen change your motion any? I'm guessing it doesn't. But then does the screen give you protection?

Just curious. When I throw from behind a screen my follow through is a jump to the right (I'm a lefty) to get myself safe. :p
Use this one, Drew.

Oct 4, 2018
Use this one, Drew.

I will never use that. That little hole gives you a false sense of security and it's amazing how many come-backers make it through that. I've seen a few men get neutered using that in the last two years. I'm skeered.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Screenshot_20230303_170828_Brave.jpg

I use this one from Champro. It's reversible for baseball and softball, and it prevents you from having to jump out of the way. The frame and netting are rigid, so there's no fear of the ball going deep into the screen. It's not exactly portable, but I have broken it down and set it up in less than two minutes, so you can bring it to the field.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
Gotcha, misinterpreted what you wrote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All good - sounds like your DD knows how to get batters out! Pitching becomes fun when you start to out think hitters

Another thing I used to do in baseball. I would dig in my mitt in an offspeed count like I was getting a curveball or changeup grip and really sell it - and then throw a fastball.

Oct 26, 2019
View attachment 27522

I use this one from Champro. It's reversible for baseball and softball, and it prevents you from having to jump out of the way. The frame and netting is rigid, so there's no fear of the ball going deep into the screen. It's not exactly portable, but I have broken it down and set it up in less than two minutes, so you can bring it to the field.
This is the exact one I use. Works great for both sports and as a bonus it’s not real wide so a lot of balls up the middle don’t hit it as much as other screens.

Oct 4, 2018
This is the exact one I use. Works great for both sports and as a bonus it’s not real wide so a lot of balls up the middle don’t hit it as much as other screens.

Yes, I like that one.

But even with those, you have to be somewhat exposed to pitch, otherwise you throw the ball into the screen. So the "hop back" may be smaller, but you still gotta get back. I've taken some off my foot, shin, throwing hand that come screaming right back at you.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yes, I like that one.

But even with those, you have to be somewhat exposed to pitch, otherwise you throw the ball into the screen. So the "hop back" may be smaller, but you still gotta get back. I've taken some off my foot, shin, throwing hand that come screaming right back at you.
I've pretty much perfected it with this screen. The only issue I ever have is sometimes I hit my hand on the frame during my follow through, but I've never been hit with a ball back at me yet.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
View attachment 27522

I use this one from Champro. It's reversible for baseball and softball, and it prevents you from having to jump out of the way. The frame and netting are rigid, so there's no fear of the ball going deep into the screen. It's not exactly portable, but I have broken it down and set it up in less than two minutes, so you can bring it to the field.
That one looks like it was accidentally invented when someone dropped their regular screen off the back of a truck and it bent.

Oct 26, 2019
I've pretty much perfected it with this screen. The only issue I ever have is sometimes I hit my hand on the frame during my follow through, but I've never been hit with a ball back at me yet.
It’s way better than the one with the hole in the middle of it that’s for sure. When a righty inside outs one it will sneak right through that hole. The hole also doesn’t have the metal frame around it so glancing blows off the edge of the net can sneak through instead of ricochet off.

Ask me how I know - almost got snuck with one yesterday just grazed my shirt throwing with that exact screen!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad