Tipping Pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 24, 2012
My DD uses a double back arm swing. I think it makes her more explosive, and better balanced. The best argument against it is she will tip her pitch to the other team. Let me ask all you coaches and players are you stealing pitches from the windup? Are you stealing pitches when the hand is in the glove as Boardmember said? Are you stealing signs from the coach or catcher?

I would really like to get honest feedback here. I really cant see someone consistently stealing a pitch from the windup.

heres a reaction time chart
baseballequivalentsoftballpitchspee.jpg

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
If coaches were picking pitches, the pitch they would be looking for is the change up, and the give away for a change up would be picked while the hand is in the glove. The grip for most change ups is either a circle grip or a ball deep in the palm. If a base coach on the throwing arm side see these grips they can tip the batter by anything verbal to the hitter. Yes, name, k something letting the hitter know that they saw signs the a change was coming. Pitchers shoud hide their grips for sure, but a way to beat that coach is to show a change grip then change it in the glove. Most hitters have trouble with a deceptive change up even if they know its coming. It's a matter if keeping the delivery the same in looks. How many girls have a good rise ball under college ball? Girls should work on a vertical drop and a deceptive change up and stay away from horizontal breaking pitches. It's location and vertical movement that are key. Some speed helps, and that is what a beginner needs to work on first, with the drop. And I say Peel. What makes the coming out of the glove at around 9 o/clock best is the hitter sees the ball less making the pitch quicker than a back arm swing delivery with over 360 degrees of showing the ball to the hitter.

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hitters are trained to look for 'Grips' in this area. The first on that list is the circle change up, second, I think, is the knuckle ball / change up. Not sure what others after that. No matter how fast the motions, those two grips are easily spotted early.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I teach a 4 seam fast ball grip on a turn over flip change. The grip on a fast ball, drop ball, cutter, and change up are identical. The rise ball is the only pitch for us that has a major difference in grip.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
They are many ways coaches steal pitches, some steal signs, some read pitchers and I’m sure they are other ways I never thought of.

Here is one way a coach teaches called Backdropping, sent to my DD by her college coach.

Mark Mulvany
April 11, 2013: Scout Softball president Mark Mulvany discusses the technique of "backdropping" to determine the eventual location of a pitch. Reading spin on a pitch is a much less obvious way to read a pitch as being inside or outside compared to the backdropping technique discussed in this video.

BackDropping - YouTube

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Hitters are trained to look for 'Grips' in this area. The first on that list is the circle change up, second, I think, is the knuckle ball / change up. Not sure what others after that. No matter how fast the motions, those two grips are easily spotted early.

Like we agreed on before most girls use the back arm swing and show the grip for more than 360 degrees of arm circle. If a girl comes out of the glove and only shows the grip from around 9 o'clock the grip would be that much harder to pick up, if pitch picking were a problem. The hide the ball delivery is quicker and leaves for less reaction for the hitter.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Like we agreed on before most girls use the back arm swing and show the grip for more than 360 degrees of arm circle. If a girl comes out of the glove and only shows the grip from around 9 o'clock the grip would be that much harder to pick up, if pitch picking were a problem. The hide the ball delivery is quicker and leaves for less reaction for the hitter.

Unless you learn to have similar grips with different results. These three pitches "look" the same for the small amount of time you're going to be able to see them. On the horseshoe. But the results are 3 different pitches by location and speed. About 1/8th inch of seam difference will result in 1-2 inches of a different effect. Finger pressure changes will result in even more.

Ok the test. I'm going to give "some" of it away. These are all going to the same location, one a large break, one a less ( run ), one an off speed. Can ya guess which does what, and why? Still pics should give a huge advantage compared to an actual windup time.

de473575229024b6c38a05d969df8bac_zps1e60a62f.jpg
[/IMG]

921904eb996f3ebf921f2d7208106d9a_zps2f649a8d.jpg
[/IMG]

d6d0d669791452eb650569d69e032f64_zpsb9e6804e.jpg
[/IMG]

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Explain finger pressure and how it works and what it is supposed to do, because in a peel drop the last finger to spin the ball is the middle finger because it is longest. It is more of how you line the 4 seams up to spin off the middle finger that gives you a drop that tails one way or the other. 4 seams lined up to spin horizontally will have less tail and will break strait down off the table. If the 4 seams are off from spinning horizontally one way or the other you will get a in or out break at the end. If a 2 seam peal drop is used you will have more break, one way or the other, according to how off vertical the four seams are spinning forward. Are you saying finger pressure with the ring finger vs the pointer finger? I assume you are talking peel drop that tail and not curve and screw balls. Where did finger pressure come from? I know most girls spin the peel drop with three fingers because they have smaller hands. I used only two fingers to spin my peel drop, because I didn't need 3 fingers and 2 fingers is less hand on the ball and that means more speed.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Explain finger pressure and how it works and what it is supposed to do, because in a peel drop the last finger to spin the ball is the middle finger because it is longest.
This is true if your looking for a 12/6 rotation on a basic peel. However, by simply squeezing hard with either the index or ring finger on a peel drop, the balls axis point will change and the rotation will be closer to 2/8 or 10/4 giving the ball a tailing effect. DD's cutter will usually only cut in or out approx. 2"... but when thrown to the black edge of the plate, its enough movement to stay off the bats sweet spot. If this pitch is thrown correctly, to the right spot, and gets hit, its almost always a weak infield grounder.

Last edited:

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Explain finger pressure and how it works and what it is supposed to do, because in a peel drop the last finger to spin the ball is the middle finger because it is longest. It is more of how you line the 4 seams up to spin off the middle finger that gives you a drop that tails one way or the other. 4 seams lined up to spin horizontally will have less tail and will break strait down off the table. If the 4 seams are off from spinning horizontally one way or the other you will get a in or out break at the end. If a 2 seam peal drop is used you will have more break, one way or the other, according to how off vertical the four seams are spinning forward. Are you saying finger pressure with the ring finger vs the pointer finger? I assume you are talking peel drop that tail and not curve and screw balls. Where did finger pressure come from? I know most girls spin the peel drop with three fingers because they have smaller hands. I used only two fingers to spin my peel drop, because I didn't need 3 fingers and 2 fingers is less hand on the ball and that means more speed.

This needs reread and more comments from the science people with the video frames. I'll start a new topic soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06