Time to post my DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I told her to start turning the barrel from the second she starts moving it. She knows her wrists are locked too much, so turn with her wrists.

Go back and review the gifs of Griffy-Jr posted earlier in this thread. Notice how he uses the base of the whip in getting the barrel arcing. Your daughter instead uses the tip of the whip, and then shortly after attempts to use the base of the whip to 'catch' and 'assist' an already arcing barrel. Your daughter is out of sync in this regard.

Apr 16, 2013
Here are some swings from last night. We're focusing solely on the bottom end. (Yes, she's in her PJ's.) Nothing above the waist. Trying to work with her on hip drive and maintaining the coil to front side foot plant. I personally like swing 1 best as it's short, fast, and gives up no power. This is with her 34/28oz end loaded LS bat. She typically uses this in colder weather as it was a cheap '16 leftover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmz-rwVriBQ

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Here are some swings from last night. We're focusing solely on the bottom end. (Yes, she's in her PJ's.) Nothing above the waist. Trying to work with her on hip drive and maintaining the coil to front side foot plant. I personally like swing 1 best as it's short, fast, and gives up no power. This is with her 34/28oz end loaded LS bat. She typically uses this in colder weather as it was a cheap '16 leftover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmz-rwVriBQ

Which is Swing #1? IMHO this swing is much better than her cage swings in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 16, 2013
Which is Swing #1? IMHO this swing is much better than her cage swings in this thread.

The first one in the clip. :p This is after around 40 swings. This is 4 of the last 5. I basically said, "Put together everything we've talked about and hit it hard, then let's go hit the weights."

Feb 16, 2015
South East
The first one in the clip. :p This is after around 40 swings. This is 4 of the last 5. I basically said, "Put together everything we've talked about and hit it hard, then let's go hit the weights."

That is different swings in the video? Looks like the same swing to me.

Have you pitched to her yet, while focusing on these movements?

Apr 16, 2013
That is different swings in the video? Looks like the same swing to me.

Have you pitched to her yet, while focusing on these movements?

That is 4 different swings in the video. 4 of the last 5. I watch them frame by frame. 1080p 60fps. I didn't tell her anything different in those last 5. The first one just seems more compact and faster to me. However, all of them look better to me than her cage swing I originally posted in this video. A few years back I worked with her on imagining she's holding a beach ball between her legs, essentially not collapsing her back leg. I had basically forgotten about that and just let her swing. This is her showing work on that. There are 2 things she's working on here. First, not collapsing her back knee and 2: not leaning way over her back side and spinning. Or, driving her rear hip. I don't think this gains her more power, but instead keeping the same power while being faster to the ball. This is solely my understanding of the swing and trying to mimic a higher level swing. Cabrera is the gold standard, IMO.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
That is 4 different swings in the video. 4 of the last 5. I watch them frame by frame. 1080p 60fps. I didn't tell her anything different in those last 5. The first one just seems more compact and faster to me. However, all of them look better to me than her cage swing I originally posted in this video. A few years back I worked with her on imagining she's holding a beach ball between her legs, essentially not collapsing her back leg. I had basically forgotten about that and just let her swing. This is her showing work on that. There are 2 things she's working on here. First, not collapsing her back knee and 2: not leaning way over her back side and spinning. Or, driving her rear hip. I don't think this gains her more power, but instead keeping the same power while being faster to the ball. This is solely my understanding of the swing and trying to mimic a higher level swing. Cabrera is the gold standard, IMO.

I think you may be surprised about the power part if she can do it with a moving ball. Not because she actually has more power but because of consistency and she will square up balls better.

Apr 16, 2013
[MENTION=12381]DRDRODD[/MENTION], IMO she needs to see better pitching. Honestly, I love her current team. She's on an "A" level team. They're pretty good and I think she got lucky in her first fastpitch team. However. until she sees pitching above 55mph with good placement and movement she won't be challenged. Until then, we'll keep working. Right now I want to implant this movement into her muscle memory, unless it's just plain wrong. I think it's a right move towards the direction we're looking for though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA