Time to post my DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2019
tumblr_p5yp9hadoW1usf292o1_400.gif

Another hitter that leaves a lot of power on the table. Again JMHO.

Not at all surprising consider she's never played softball before.
IMO, the swing looks better than 75% of the players in our house league that's been playing for several seasons. Keep up the good work!

Sep 17, 2009
Been a while since I updated this. I haven't had her work on any changes to her swing in quite some time. She just turned 16 last week, playing 18u now. Averages 1-2 homeruns per weekend, sometimes more. Still bats right around 500. Only thing I see is her still pulling her front shoulder just a tad at that last split second. Just filmed her at our usual field we practice at, didn't pick any one special swing. Doing BP she typically puts around 50-70% over the fence.

Well you can't argue with those results! Does she always start that narrow or is it a workout thing?

Her swing is very snappy and she looks super-strong. I'm not surprised that swing can put BP pitching out. If she's successful in games too than not much to worry about. Good for her.

Nov 18, 2013
I’m not a hitting guy, just curious. Looks like she’s got a ton of power. 34/26 sounds like a big bat for a relative newbie. I know she crushes it in BP. Does she have any trouble getting the bat around against faster than average pitching?

Apr 16, 2013
Does she have any trouble getting the bat around against faster than average pitching?

At this point I'd say no. She's never faced mid 60's though. Around here "good" 16/18u is upper 50's. That gives her zero trouble. At the last showcase she faced her first "top D1" level type pitcher. It was the one of the top 18u teams in the entire state. The starting pitcher pitched to 7 batters, and struck 7 out, including my DD. First pitch was a fastball inside and my DD got a large piece of it, but sent it foul. That told me she had her timed from the start. She looked at an outside pitch after which she felt wasn't a strike. Then she felt she had to swing at the junk she threw after that because of the umps zone, struck out. I was just happy to see her have no issues with the speed. According to the zepp, she can get into the low 70's swing speed, so that's been enough.

While some may look at the first swing I posted here, she's had high level baseball experience for some time so she may be new(er) to softball, but not new to swinging. She was swinging a -3 when she was 11. It's funny because when she goes back and plays baseball, she feels like she's "waiting" on an 80mph fastball.

Apr 16, 2013
Does she always start that narrow or is it a workout thing?
Yes, that's her style. I can post game swings but it's always from behind, as I put up the lynkspyder and camera to record the whole game. It's still obvious to see her small stride though and she always starts feet together.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not at all surprising consider she's never played softball before.
IMO, the swing looks better than 75% of the players in our house league that's been playing for several seasons. Keep up the good work!
For the record my comment was on the swing posted on March 21, 2108. This swing post today is 1 year and 5 months later.
My comment on this swing:
Looks upper torso 'driven'. Front arm seems to get a little long/extended during the rotation of the swing launch. This may become a problem against faster pitcher because of the front arm 'barring causing a long swing.

May 16, 2019
look at the front leg of Cabrera's and the front leg of your daughter in post #64. She looks like she is pushing and rotating the front hip backwards. His looks way different.

Sep 29, 2014
From the first swing posted this looks tons better. You say she is jacking them over the fence is see power left on the table...lol

She is still just ever so slightly off on her sequence, it seems like her cue to release her forward swing component is toe touch it should be a little close to heel drop, its just a fraction of a second but that is leak power you can never get back. Also she is still a little spinny on the back foot, watch any elite hitter their foot is bearing no weight, sliding forward or off the ground at contact because they are completely release the back side. She does lean back a little more than I'd like during load/coil but again just a little thing.

I wouldn't make any huge overhaul with this swing, I'm not a bat path guru but what I see I like, think it's all just tinker around the edges but as she goes up in competition those margins on the edges is what makes OK turn into good and good turn into great. I didn't track up the thread to see what she is swinging now but 34/25 is plenty bat for even the biggest of girls...I'll trade more bat speed for the ounce any day of the week.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Congrats on her success!

Jmo... she seems spinny and pushy. Hardly any shift. Back elbow never slots. All rotary.

But if you don’t see any holes in her swing in games I wouldn’t worry about it.

Good luck!

Apr 16, 2013
She is still just ever so slightly off on her sequence, it seems like her cue to release her forward swing component is toe touch it should be a little close to heel drop, its just a fraction of a second but that is leak power you can never get back. Also she is still a little spinny on the back foot, watch any elite hitter their foot is bearing no weight, sliding forward or off the ground at contact because they are completely release the back side.

Now that you mention that, I do see it. I can see she's not pushing as hard with both her legs. Back leg isn't driving the rear hip forward as hard, and her front leg never reaches that lock showing she's continuing the hip motion. I can also assume that's why she occasionally pulls off a ball, it's her upper torso spinning and putting a slice on the ball.

She actually likes having things to work on. She likes having goals, things to work towards. This is something I'll show her, but we'll most likely work on it more during the winter after the season is over.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802