Time to post my DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
Well, I believe the "problem" with her current mechanics is adjustability to put the barrel exactly where she wants to every time. She's locking her barrel path early by slotting her elbow. Her wrists are too locked. When I think of "whip", I think of whipping the wrists similar to cracking a whip. I want her to have the ability to put that bat in the most optimal location, every time.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Well, I believe the "problem" with her current mechanics is adjustability to put the barrel exactly where she wants to every time. She's locking her barrel path early by slotting her elbow. Her wrists are too locked. When I think of "whip", I think of whipping the wrists similar to cracking a whip. I want her to have the ability to put that bat in the most optimal location, every time.

Adjustability shouldn't be a problem if you initiate the barrel arcing process correctly ... which is not happening here. If you ignore the base of the whip, and focus only on the tip of the whip, then adjustability is difficult.

Same question ... how has she been instructed to initiate the arcing of the barrel?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Your daughter's core usage is out of sync.

Consider Griffy Jr. as an example.

Griffey.gif

Key in on the two frames highlighted below ...

Griffeyx.gif

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I know that you have worked very hard on her swing. The first thing that stood out to me and where I would have started first was her lower half. IMO, often, but not always, the top can be improved if the bottom half does what it needs to do. I've posted a gif of Upton to show what I would do with your dd if I worked with her. This has been the focus of our hitting practices this past week as we are inundated with rain. We did get one game in and the girls really improved after this one on one work. BTW, we started coaching/instructing this by having my players hold onto the back of a tall chair. They tried to copy the action as best they could. Then we progressed to tee, then to front toss and finally to the machine which we rarely use.

Good luck!

Well, as always, I can't seem to get my gifs to work here. Sorry. Perhaps someone else has this.

Attachments

• BJUpton_lower.jpg
    BJUpton_lower.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 125
Apr 16, 2013
Cannon, it just shows up as a jpg. I can PM you my email if you don't mind sending it to me.

I believe I understand where she needs to go with the bottom half and how to get her there. I also need to see how she looks vs live pitching. We all know how things can get tweaked a little bit when someone is throwing in anger vs soft toss.

My biggest question is does she focus on bottom or top? I only have her work on one thing before moving onto something else. I'm leaning more to cannon's suggestion since I think we can get there more easily than the top half.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Here, I hate to say to much as I leave that for others. Still, here is a pic of BB doing what Upton was doing. My email is Cannonball2509@gmail.com

I was going to say that I liked the original video as well in that, for me, she looks like someone I would want to work with. I think the breakdown by others is spot on but there is some really good stuff happening in that first old video.

Attachments

• IMG_4128.jpg
    IMG_4128.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 119

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32