Time for a video analysis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2011
Great comments guys. Really appreciate it. From my perspective and I am certainly an idiot which is why I'm here, LOL, I do see the around the body many of you guys see. My main thing I was looking at was the position of her front elbow at contact. In all of her swings she never seems to get that front elbow up and or away from her front side. It's like she pins it to her body on every swing which pulls the bat out of the zone really quickly. I have been trying to work on opposite field tee work to try and correct this. The other thing I noticed just yesterday was her handset prior to launch. She has her hands right in front of her chest instead of up and behind her head. I was thinking this could be part of the overcooking the barrel we are discussing. It's like she has to bring the hands so far back to get loaded and the back elbow has to come so far up to get her into a good stretch position that she loses that natural rhythm that occurs in the transition from turn to launch if that makes sense. This afternoon I'm gonna try and take some more video with her starting with her hands farther back and up so that she in a sense is pre loading them and won't have to bring them back so far in order to get that core stretch we all covet around here. I'm gonna video some high tee as well. Any comments in regards to her front elbow not getting up and away from her body is appreciated. Any response to my other personal assumptions is much appreciated as well and I'll get that video up tonight for everyone.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Disagreement is fine.

I disagree that bringing the elbow and hands out-front together, as was done here ….

2i05g5z.jpg

…. resembles what Bonds was doing here.

64nqs4.jpg

If this is what someone teaches …..

sndu35.gif

That's why I was confused. Thanks for getting me out of the 'rabbit hole'.

….. then I expect disagreement … and I’m perfectly fine with discussing the details regarding that disagreement.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm guessing that you are focusing on the hand path.

al6pgw.jpg

I didn't mean when you first commit to launch your swing.

You over cook turning the barrel when you arc it 'around' your rear forearm too long, or too late ... when you don't allow a sufficient transition from arcing the barrel 'around' your rear forearm to 'along' your rear forearm. When you overcook the 'around', you in a sense get 'stuck'.

Look at this girl's "lag position".

2euq2km.jpg

The barrel has been turned ... sent into it's arc ... and at the 'lag position' the hands are dead even with the rear elbow.

Where are Bonds' hands in relation to his rear elbow at 'bat lag'?

64nqs4.jpg

They are in front. His hands are in front of the rear elbow at 'bat lag'.

Bonds' transitioned earlier form 'around' to 'along'. Bonds' has a clearer image of the downstream release process. Bonds isn't afraid to extend at the rear elbow going into impact.

Throw the barrel ..... fling the barrel ..... cast it at/through the ball.

In a way, yes, hand path. But more along the lines of your other post. I wasn't looking at it as overcooked barrel turn, but that explanation makes sense to me. If you look at the positioning of her hands (when I say hands I actually mean hands, wrists, and forearms....) and her elbows in the "lag position" picture, what do you think will happen if she performs the "high tee drill"? My best guess is that she is going to chip the ball and pop it up. She will have difficulty hitting line drives off the high tee with her arms in this position. That is my opinion of course. I think using the high tee drill until she can consistently hit line drives will help get her arms and hands (my definition of hands) into a better position. I seem to remember someone using the term "educated hands"... Hopefully that makes sense.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FP26, I'm all for the high-tee drill .... and I especially like high-front-toss. Was just suggesting that the metric needed to be railed in a bit.

A big yes to "educated hands".

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
This isn't necessarily true. Balls do not get hitter deeper in the zone based on location. Timing dictates where in zone the ball gets hit.

Posey_InMidOut.gif

This quote has me dumbfounded.

I see her tee to far upfront, while to far from her body.

The second quote about timing is true.

lag (3).jpg

Lag is an interesting component to me. In lag, are you fighting to keep the barrel up, or are you turning the barrel?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
In Bonds words, he is waiting to use his back hand to put the hammer down.

That's an interesting way to put it--"...waiting to use his back (top) hand to put the hammer down." I think all too often hitters (in softball) try to use their top hand too much/early, thus they end up chipping.

Aug 30, 2013

View attachment 6852

Lag is an interesting component to me. In lag, are you fighting to keep the barrel up, or are you turning the barrel?
The million dollar question is what brought bonds to this point?? Remembering that his barrel was completely tipping oppo...

Did he just bring the handle/elbows forward, maintaining lag.. Doubt it, direction would be compromised, whip would be out front/late..good luck pushing/pulling handle forward from a tipped position

Did the core completely un-tip his barrel to put him into palm up/palm down position? Can't see core completely doing that or generating bat speed early.. Can see some initial tip/un-tip coming out of it

Did he turn turn the barrel to get to palm up/palm down while generating earl bat speed?

Maybe a mixture of the last two..

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

View attachment 6852

I get bashed for this but...
I teach to turn the corner some before you release. I have girls hitting the cra# out of the ball. Bonds does it. He has turned the corner and has not released the barrel to impact.
Since its election time...I approve this message

SL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877