Three types of swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2012
That just may be so. I know I was a little nervous giving input at all when a persons name is EliteSwing and they operate a website called EliteSwing.com. That pretty much sets the standard.

Ok, I never post here, mainly because I'm a baseball guy.

But what this guy is teaching is pretty far from high level, IMO.

Just look at the hitter he shows on his website.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Not sure everyone knows that Bustos played baseball before she every played softball. Many on here teach her swing and some call it a Hybrid. There is no difference between a baseball and softball swing. But as jbooth has posted, not sure where some of these kids are taught. Doesn't matter if it is a boy or a girl. I watched a well known baseball school in southern ohio teach squish the bug to every young boy they were giving lessons to. Plus you could hear swing level, I chuckled and walked away after that.

Jun 23, 2011
NC
Not sure everyone knows that Bustos played baseball before she every played softball. Many on here teach her swing and some call it a Hybrid. There is no difference between a baseball and softball swing. But as jbooth has posted, not sure where some of these kids are taught. Doesn't matter if it is a boy or a girl. I watched a well known baseball school in southern ohio teach squish the bug to every young boy they were giving lessons to. Plus you could hear swing level, I chuckled and walked away after that.

It amazes me at times to watch people who I thought knew what they were doing, based on their position, teach,,,I bet most folks did not know that Crystal started out as a slapper either.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Scewball we call that Style. I won't touch the riseball debate,, but lets just say it is the same thing as hitting a high fastball in baseball. Bustos was the best riseball hitter that has ever played the game. None of the kids I work with have issues hitting a riseball,but I had some good teachers.

Oct 25, 2009
While a lot of the swing is the same:

To me it appears that the back or pre-to-early portion of the baseball swing, the player "monkeys around" (such as picking the leg up really high, moving hands around, or even during delivery, moving the bat around. It seems that part of the swing is long. The pitching delivery in baseball is even long. However, I do see some great swings that would work in softball.

In softball, pitchers work on quick deliveries and getting close to you at release.So that portion of the swing needs to be direct, short, and quick to the ball.

There is also no riseball in baseball, so softball players may keep their hands higher or swing on a certain level ( a la Tim Walton), if going against a riseballer. Just a thought, because I can't hit a riseball.

And the usual teach for that issue is the bat-in-the-ear approach. But it used to be worse; they used to have the girls place the bat on their deltoid "because they couldn't swing as fast as boys".

I want the bat in a good throwing position. I want a "baseball" stride/separation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan