Thoughts on this Coach's Letter to Parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IDK seems like a rant to me.

The coach’s actions will address most of what he says. I think he would be better off just highlighting a few things he cares about instead of this long winded speech.

May 25, 2010
Didn't like much of it at all. Way too preachy. He says "it's not about you parents". Of course not, because it's all about HIM. lol

Oct 19, 2009
I put this in my blog recently and wanted to get everyone's thoughts. I love it and think it makes some good points. Pretty direct but sometimes that works. Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts.

A Must Read For Any Baseball Parent | hitmorelinedrives

Jon

Jon I like the letter and I would send a similar letter to parents, not as long, but had much of the same points. I did not see it as a rant, rather a coach who is looking for the best learning and playing experience for his players. :cool:

Some of the parents ruin it for the kids and being up front of required conduct for parent and child is a beneficial ideal.

Daughter was asked to help a 10U team, she is 17, and had a parent scream at her because she gave instructions of relax and focus to the daughter of a player while she was at bat and she ended striking out. I told her unless the coach corrected the parent I would not go back and help. :mad:

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Didn't like much of it at all. Way too preachy. He says "it's not about you parents". Of course not, because it's all about HIM. lol

I agree, heck I fell asleep half way through just reading it.

In HS we ( players and parents ) sign a quick form and it's pretty simple. No drugs, no alcohol, no smoking ( around the field or kids ), no disrespecting our or other teams, do not hassle the ump ( that one is hard for me ), and as a group we all represent the school on and off the field.

May 1, 2012
Jon I like the letter and I would send a similar letter to parents, not as long, but had much of the same points. I did not see it as a rant, rather a coach who is looking for the best learning and playing experience for his players. :cool:

Some of the parents ruin it for the kids and being up front of required conduct for parent and child is a beneficial ideal.

Daughter was asked to help a 10U team, she is 17, and had a parent scream at her because she gave instructions of relax and focus to the daughter of a player while she was at bat and she ended striking out. I told her unless the coach corrected the parent I would not go back and help. :mad:

I think setting the expectations up front is a good thing. He is a little over the top. But generally, a shorter form of the letter would be ideal.

Jul 26, 2010
Writing a letter like that assumes that one believes that people will actually read it and understand it from the author's perspective. Ignorance must be bliss.

It isn't that I disagree with it, only that I believe words are mostly meaningless. His actions will define the team, not his hot air.

-W

Jun 18, 2010
I like the letter because it helps to level set expectations. More often than not, problems arise due to miscommunication or or not knowing what is expected up front. I agree actions speak louder than words, however the letter is important is setting a common understanding of the coaches philosophy and his definition of the rolls and responsibilities of the players and parents.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish