D1 Retired Softball Player Looking To Help! www.d1insidethelines.com

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
I have not heard of that principle but to answer your second question I think anyone can make a really great coach or a really bad coach whether you were an athlete or not. I see your point, I know athletes that are extremely talented, but when asked about how they succeed and how they can teach others to do what they do, they can't seem to communicate that. Some players have talent that takes them farther than analysis and hard work will that's just the way it's dealt sometimes (I was definitely not that type of player lol). Just because you have the athletic talent doesn't mean you have the ability to coach. No one ever says a coach is super "talented", they describe great coaches as: impactful, influential, knowledgeable, and it's important that coaches have the ability to get through to players. But to that point, I can't categorize good coaches or bad coaches as people who are great athletes or nonathletes, it really comes down to their ability to help players reach their goals, be open enough to always learn new things, and to impact players on and off the field. Thanks for the questions I appreciate it!
The Hanson principle is simply watch and observe what and how the best in the world do it and emulate them. An example might be something like when hitting "make sure you stay back and keep your back foot planted" well if you look at video of any high level hitter almost all of them have the back foot bearing no weight at all most are even off the ground at impact, does it mean they don't understand the swing not really. They are just reiterating what they were taught and might also actually be relating what they "feel" like they are doing but the video doesn't lie. You should apply this principle when trying to learn the proper technique...a cue you give someone like stay on your back foot if they are lunging at the ball while swinging might be OK to get them to feel the right thing but you don't want them to take you literally and keep their foot on the ground.

Reactions: NEF
Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
When i was just out of college i had nothing but answers, however as I get older I have nothing but questions.
Looking back from the time you first started softball what would you change about your involvement in the sport? Would you have not competed in middle school ball, high school ball, taken more time off from travel ball or focused more on another skill?
Do you think travel ball prepared you to compete in D1? Should travel ball be restructured to 7 innings double headers only on weekends and local play during the week?
Should Recreational softball be the only softball until teenager years to avoid burnout later in life?
Should girls value academics over softball year round because professional softball player earn very little?
Could we spread fastpitch by getting boys to play instead or along side baseball?
What are the best life lessons learned over your softball career?
What time amount did you invest in D1 on the mental/psychological aspects of training?
Do you value time, money, friendship, family or God the most? You must pick one
Finally if you have only 2 sentences to past on to future generations to carve in stone, what would it be?

Apr 22, 2020
When i was just out of college i had nothing but answers, however as I get older I have nothing but questions.
Looking back from the time you first started softball what would you change about your involvement in the sport? Would you have not competed in middle school ball, high school ball, taken more time off from travel ball or focused more on another skill?
Do you think travel ball prepared you to compete in D1? Should travel ball be restructured to 7 innings double headers only on weekends and local play during the week?
Should Recreational softball be the only softball until teenager years to avoid burnout later in life?
Should girls value academics over softball year round because professional softball player earn very little?
Could we spread fastpitch by getting boys to play instead or along side baseball?
What are the best life lessons learned over your softball career?
What time amount did you invest in D1 on the mental/psychological aspects of training?
Do you value time, money, friendship, family or God the most? You must pick one
Finally if you have only 2 sentences to past on to future generations to carve in stone, what would it be?
These are all awesome questions! I just started up my blog today and it looks like i can answer some of these questions on it so check it out! www.d1insidethelines.com and I think ill answer three right here for you! Playing other sports along with softball was super helpful actually, i played basketball, volleyball, golf...i wouldn't change any of that it really developed me physically and it was still great opportunities to make friends! For your question do i think travel ball should be restricted to 7 inning double headers... yes to some extent, I can remember travel ball days and playing up to like 7 games in one day it was insane! Looking back i have no idea how we did it and once you get to college you maybe play 4 games in a spring tournament, and that's even rare. Its still important to get experience in extra innings and to learn how to fight in those intense game situations, but at the same time health, safety, school, are all important too. Last answer, for what i value if i have to pick one of those I would have to say God, He is the foundation in my life and I believe he has blessed my family with amazing opportunities and blessed us with our health and that's what matters to me the most! Thanks so much for your questions, ill try to answer more of these in my blog!

Tee

Mar 14, 2020
I knew Margo as well, but from an Umpires point of view. She didnt yell much, just make comments as she was walking by you. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck