D1 Retired Softball Player Looking To Help! www.d1insidethelines.com

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 22, 2020
As a retired Division 1 softball player, I wanted to continue to spread the game of fastpitch. I am in the works of creating a blog for players, parents, and coaches for all topics (Recruiting, Drills, My Journey, Coach's Corner, etc.) I wanted to start this thread to ask if that is something anyone would love to follow and to also get ideas of what you all would love to see answered on it! What would you want to ask a Retired College Softball Player? Check out what i have so far (i'm new to this so whole blog thing so please go easy on me!) www.d1insidethelines.com

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020
As a retired Division 1 softball player, I wanted to continue to spread the game of fastpitch. I am in the works of creating a blog for players, parents, and coaches for all topics (Recruiting, Drills, My Journey, Coach's Corner, etc.) I wanted to start this thread to ask if that is something anyone would love to follow and to also get ideas of what you all would love to see answered on it! What would you want to ask a Retired College Softball Player?
would love to know your thoughts on how to communicate and how often to coaches thee days especially with the school ball season cancelled and travel ball in jeopardy

Jun 27, 2018
Was your coach male or female?

Was your coach a leader?

Was your coach a loud mouth? berating?

Very good questions. I would also like to see those answers. The gender really doesn’t matter to me but the other two questions are interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
As a retired Division 1 softball player, I wanted to continue to spread the game of fastpitch. I am in the works of creating a blog for players, parents, and coaches for all topics (Recruiting, Drills, My Journey, Coach's Corner, etc.) I wanted to start this thread to ask if that is something anyone would love to follow and to also get ideas of what you all would love to see answered on it! What would you want to ask a Retired College Softball Player?
Do you know what the Hanson Principle is. I find that the best athletes are generally the worst coaches, do you agree, disagree and why?

Apr 22, 2020
would love to know your thoughts on how to communicate and how often to coaches thee days especially with the school ball season cancelled and travel ball in jeopardy
Great Question! I'll assume you mean from the standpoint of how often should players reach out to college coaches? The good part about this crazy situation we're in is, coaches and players are in the same boat! Even though games are cancelled and may be cancelled for who knows how long, this is a great opportunity to demonstrate work ethic and prove character.

Players (or a travel/hs coach, etc) can reach out to college coaches (I'd recommend maybe every two weeks) just to update them on how they're finding ways to improve their skills and continue to elevate their game in any way. It's not so much about how players are doing that (there's no textbook answer for what athletes should be doing during a pandemic) but rather how much effort are they putting in when no one's watching and how passionate are they for the game during a time where the fun/rewarding part of the process (games) are cancelled?

Don't bombard coaches with constant emails, but be confident in communicating how you, your team, your players, are making the most out of the situation, it says a lot! Great Blog topic idea, I'll focus on ways that players can make the best out of these unique circumstances..

Apr 22, 2020
Was your coach male or female?

Was your coach a leader?

Was your coach a loud mouth? berating?
I actually was super fortunate to play under Margo Jonker at Central Michigan University. She is a legend in the softball community as she paved the way for female athletes AND shes currently a nominee for Michigan Sports Hall of Fame (Go Vote!). She was absolutely a leader, she was a mentor for not just softball but life. Her coaching style was not of the yelling nature, it was more like a disappointed mother lol! She didn't have to say anything, you could feel her presence and no joke that was almost worse than getting yelled at! If you have ever disappointed your mother or someone of that same level of respect, it sucks and it makes you want to be better. I loved that about her, she cared so deeply for you and had such a high level of respect for the game. She ingrained in us to play the game the right way and to never take it for granted! This gives me a great idea for a blog post on the lessons learned from all of the different coaching styles I played under (and yes I've played for the screaming type as well). Thanks for the questions!

Jun 27, 2018
I actually was super fortunate to play under Margo Jonker at Central Michigan University. She is a legend in the softball community as she paved the way for female athletes AND shes currently a nominee for Michigan Sports Hall of Fame (Go Vote!). She was absolutely a leader, she was a mentor for not just softball but life. Her coaching style was not of the yelling nature, it was more like a disappointed mother lol! She didn't have to say anything, you could feel her presence and no joke that was almost worse than getting yelled at! If you have ever disappointed your mother or someone of that same level of respect, it sucks and it makes you want to be better. I loved that about her, she cared so deeply for you and had such a high level of respect for the game. She ingrained in us to play the game the right way and to never take it for granted! This gives me a great idea for a blog post on the lessons learned from all of the different coaching styles I played under (and yes I've played for the screaming type as well). Thanks for the questions!

She sounds like a great coach!! I know what you mean about that type of coach. They don’t have to even say anything, you just know and you do what you can to fix it, or at least not do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 9, 2020
Great Question! I'll assume you mean from the standpoint of how often should players reach out to college coaches? The good part about this crazy situation we're in is, coaches and players are in the same boat! Even though games are cancelled and may be cancelled for who knows how long, this is a great opportunity to demonstrate work ethic and prove character.

Players (or a travel/hs coach, etc) can reach out to college coaches (I'd recommend maybe every two weeks) just to update them on how they're finding ways to improve their skills and continue to elevate their game in any way. It's not so much about how players are doing that (there's no textbook answer for what athletes should be doing during a pandemic) but rather how much effort are they putting in when no one's watching and how passionate are they for the game during a time where the fun/rewarding part of the process (games) are cancelled?

Don't bombard coaches with constant emails, but be confident in communicating how you, your team, your players, are making the most out of the situation, it says a lot! Great Blog topic idea, I'll focus on ways that players can make the best out of these unique circumstances..
ThAts the basic approach she is taking has emailed coaches in her wheelhouse in t he beginning 1-2 responses but also tags them in her Twitter sure she demonstrates her training as well as working on her so called weaknesses . Thanks for insight stay healthy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32