Thoughts on this Coach's Letter to Parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I read the first paragraph and stopped because I saw how long it was. On the other hand, I read every comment about the letter from #1 to #32, so it is not ADD that stopped me from reading it. I don't care whether he wrote the next greatest treatise on youth coaching, you have to be able to express yourself more quickly. Otherwise you are writing it for your own self-aggrandizement, not your audience.

Jul 28, 2008
I didn't get to the 3rd paragraph before I clicked the window closed. Really, I could care less what he has to say to his team. My kid ain't playing on it, so it doesn't affect me.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I read the first paragraph and stopped because I saw how long it was. On the other hand, I read every comment about the letter from #1 to #32, so it is not ADD that stopped me from reading it. I don't care whether he wrote the next greatest treatise on youth coaching, you have to be able to express yourself more quickly. Otherwise you are writing it for your own self-aggrandizement, not your audience.

Not just you PASB, but seriously before you entrust your kid to a coach you wouldn't take the time to read 2 pages outlining their approach and expectations? Obviously actions speak louder than words so the proof will be in the pudding. The letter may be a bit long-winded, but it reflects that he is taking a professional approach to a job that is too often handed over to an amateur who has limited experience, ability, comprehension, or respect for the game. Would you prefer a text or tweet sent to you from Coach Billy Joe Bob who composed it while swillin' a PBR on the steps of his double wide?

May 1, 2012
Not just you PASB, but seriously before you entrust your kid to a coach you wouldn't take the time to read 2 pages outlining their approach and expectations? Obviously actions speak louder than words so the proof will be in the pudding. The letter may be a bit long-winded, but it reflects that he is taking a professional approach to a job that is too often handed over to an amateur who has limited experience, ability, comprehension, or respect for the game. Would you prefer a text or tweet sent to you from Coach Billy Joe Bob who composed it while swillin' a PBR on the steps of his double wide?

Awesome!! He is taking that professional approach. Great outlook on this. I have been amazed at the negative comments on this letter.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
Like the ideal of the letter and the message, didn't like the length. In other words he was saying he wants the parents to act professional, and in this day and age that is hard. He is also saying he wants the kids to act professional and learn the game. Tough concepts that some here seem to have missed.

I"m not enamored that he played MLB I would however been happy with this type of coach because you know what you are getting up front and HE KNOWS WHAT IT TAKES to move to the next level and by all accounts he seems to have that goal in mind for his kids.

Gasp a coach wanting to teach he mental game, pride and the little things it takes to win? What a novel approach. It was a great opening move too, if you are too thin skinned to handle a letter to you by him informing you of what he wants, how the heck are you going to handle a face to face discussion?

Thanks for posting this story up!

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2011
I've had 3 run ins with the same parent, I finally told him that he is no longer welcome at my practices or at the games we play. For some reason the org. wouldn't let me get rid of the guy the 1st and 2nd times, I didn't ask for permission this time.

The guy was running up and down 3rd base line raving like a lunatic and complaining about everything to anyone who would listen. After the game I sent a message to all of the parents telling them to review the code of cunduct that they signed.

The next day I had a parent call me and say that they were worried about bringing their daughter around because they think the idiot and I are going to end up in a fight in front of the kids. I absolutely can not have that. I sent the guy a message on my way to work telling him to call me when he could, a minute of 2 later he called. I told him that what he does at our practices and at our games is completely unacceptable and that I'm not going to put up with it anymore. He said "You're only getting 1 side of the story..." I told him it's true, but that's because the only side of the story is that he is a loud mouthed idiot who is runing this whole thing for his child.

I went through it with him over and over for about 10 minutes, he kept making excuses and blaming everything on someone or something else. I finally said "Ok man, you're never going to get it. You are no longer welcome at our practices or our games. Take it up with the board, they may want to hear your side of it, their contact info is on the web site. Goodbye."

Today is our 1st practice since, I guess we will see what happens in a few hours...

As far as the letter goes,,, I don't think it matters what you say to some parents or what you make them sign, when the cards are down their true colors are going to show. All of the parents could have said they agreed with it, signed it, then acted like jackasses the very 1st chance they got.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
As far as the letter goes,,, I don't think it matters what you say to some parents or what you make them sign, when the cards are down their true colors are going to show. All of the parents could have said they agreed with it, signed it, then acted like jackasses the very 1st chance they got.

Yes, the words are useless unless you back it up with action.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd