Thoughts on a crazy idea?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm a 10U coach with a brutal tournament approaching (five of the top ten teams in the state will be there). Our first pool game is vs. the #6 team in the state (who we have a history with), our second game is against the #1 team in the state, and our final pool game is against another unranked but highly reputable and formidable opponent.

In the past year we lost and won close games with the #6 team. Last time we played them however, they spanked us pretty good. My kids want to get back at them so I'm considering throwing my ace in game one.

We have a stable of four reliable pitchers who consistenly throw low to mid 40s with nasty change ups. My ace isn't the hardest throwing, but has command of four pitches (fastball, change, peel drop, knuckle) and is very good at mixing it up to keep hitters off balance.

Here's where the crazy idea comes in. In game two against this #1 team I'm considering throwing our #5 pitcher. She is very accurate but tops out at around 35 - 37 mph. My rationale is that this team is accustomed to seeing EVERYONE"S ACE and that the slow speed will throw them out of whack. Even if it works for two or three innings I can move quickly and bring in one of my top four.

Is that just plain stupid or crazy like a fox?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Let's be real--what you are really doing is attempting to win a POOL game rather than develop your players.

SO:

If my DD was the #2 pitcher and you did this to her, this would be the last year she would ever play for you. It might be the last tournament she ever played for you.

Why? Because the #2 pitcher has worked her a** off all year pitching in the shadow of the #1 pitcher. The #2 finally has a chance to go out there against the best there is and show what she can do, and you are taking that opportunity away from her. The only way the #2 can convince you and the rest of the world that she is better than the #1 pitcher is to pitch against teams like this.

And, apparently, the #2 will never be able to prove it--because you won't let her. You are taking the internal competition element out of the game.

My DD was proud of her pitching, and she thought she was the best pitcher in the universe every time she went into the dugout. She didn't think there was a better pitcher than her in the entire United States--which is one of the reasons she ended up pitching D1. She would have taken this as a personal insult--even at 10YOA. As a Daddy, it would be like you coming up an p****g on my shoes.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
I know my kids and parents very well and it isn't like that. The difference between our #1 and #4 is almost negligible. Negligible to the point where no one but I know who is the ace and who is #4 because I rotate through all four of them with regularity.

Even the one I consider #1 is apprehensive about this game. And all of them want the best chance at winning. The #5 girl I mention isn't like some scrub that never gets to pitch. She's just not as fast as the top four. Remember we're talking 10U, not college bound kids.

The point I was trying to ask is: For a team that is used to seeing 47-55 mph from 35', do we have a better chance showing them 36?

Last edited:
May 2, 2010
I hear where your reasoning is coming from. I like the approach of thinking outside the box.
However, that being said;

If they are the #1 team in the state ~ it's not by accident. They can hit. If they can hit 47-55 mph, you may fool them for about 3 hitters ~ one run through the lineup at BEST... and then they're gonna t-off on your 36 mph.

Apr 30, 2010
i also coach a 10u team and have pitchers that range from 36-46. played a game who also have a history with and they are now a 2nd year 10, we are a first. we played them monday night, started with my pitcher that throws 40 also throws very consistent, she got to about #7 or 8 for they started hitting her, put in my 45-46 pitcher they couldn't touch her for 2 innings they started hitting her put in my 36-37. k after k. we won 4-1 they kept their #1 in entire time we ended up getting our timing there. 14u coach did same with my dd she threw first 3 innings got thru their lineup they started hitting her, pulled her put in pitcher that throws about 6 mph slower. couldn't touch it. i didn't get mad at all i knew what he was doing, which was what was best for the team not my kid

Mar 15, 2010
I recently lost my league championship game to a coach who switched his righty and lefty each inning. Kept my team off balance the entire game. This was rec ball, however, and not a top team in the state. If you are looking for a different approach one strategy I would recommend is letting the opposing team's lineup to only have one look at each pitcher. I have used this successfully in the past .

Oct 25, 2009
If your ace, or others pitchers, can throw good change ups why not pitch the ace and throw 3 or 4 change ups in a row? They can easily set up batters with high speed waste pitches.

I've only seen one team where the pitcher would sometimes throw 3 change ups in a row. She was highly effective.

I see good hitting HS teams that lose to bad HS teams with pitchers that barely get it to the catcher. They don't usually successfully adjust until about the 6th inning.

It's good to follow a fast pitcher with a slow pitcher but it's not wise to follow a slow pitcher with a fast pitcher. The slow pitcher will cause the opponents to wait longer and we all know what happens when a good hitting teams stays back.

Oct 19, 2009
I recently lost my league championship game to a coach who switched his righty and lefty each inning. Kept my team off balance the entire game. This was rec ball, however, and not a top team in the state. If you are looking for a different approach one strategy I would recommend is letting the opposing team's lineup to only have one look at each pitcher. I have used this successfully in the past .

I thought of that too. Tried it against the #3 team a couple weeks ago. My first pitcher held them to one run once through the line up I switched her so they wouldn't get a 2nd look at her and they dinged us for four runs on my next pitcher. Ended up losing 6-2. One of those things I can second guess all day.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
It's good to follow a fast pitcher with a slow pitcher but it's not wise to follow a slow pitcher with a fast pitcher. The slow pitcher will cause the opponents to wait longer and we all know what happens when a good hitting teams stays back.

Thanks. Think I'll go with this idea. Start #2 and use#5 in relief.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles