Thoughts on a crazy idea?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2010
Haven't heard that term before believe it or not. Will pass that along to my dd, she'll get a kick out of it. :D

I first heard this term from my DD's catching coach, it went something like this:

"If you pass a ball that's 3 feet off the plate and in the dirt, that ends up scoring the winning run, who do you think the coach is gonna be mad at?
I'll give you a hint... It ain't the Princess in the circle." I lol'd

Oct 19, 2009
Uh. I would like to state for the record that I did NOT re-register under the name "TheHeat" and post the above message. No apologies for wanting to win a pool game however.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Why is it that the starters on a team are rarely asked to not play in order to help the team, but the backups always are? It is almost like a double standard based upon the ability level of a player.

You do realize I was channeling the father of the #2 pitcher?

Of course he is attempting to win a pool game. "Let's be real"--what you are saying is that your DD is more important than the team.

And??? My DD is more important to me than the team--which is why fathers of good players shouldn't coach.

In the scenario, my DD is the #2 pitcher. We already isn't getting her way, because our way is that she is the #1 pitcher. The #1 pitcher gets all the choice assignments, and the #2 pitcher gets the scrub assignments. The #2 pitcher is out there with the starting shortstop on the bench and the #14 player on a 14 player roster out in right field. So, I think the #2 pitcher has already been more of a team player than anyone else on the team.

My DD should be good enough to pitch against the best competition around. If the coach doesn't think she can then either (A) the coach is crazy, meaning we need to find a different team or (B) my DD isn't as good as I thought she was, meaning we need to find a different team.

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Baltimore
If the number 5 pitcher was good enough to beat this team, then she wouldn't be your number 5 pitcher, regardless of her speed. You are thinking too much. Go with the best match up by picking one of your top two or three pitchers.

This actually makes A LOT of since to me. I do have a DD that is #2 right now with a staff of 3 pitchers. She is up against someone nearly twice her age (#1 pitcher has a B-Day in 1st week of January, 11 yo vs 13 yo old is a BIG difference both physically and maturity wise.) My DD puts in twice the work as #1 does (even #1's dad has told us this, jokingly.) My DD is hungry to prove her self in "competitive" games. My DD does not get all the coach's "starting" fielders as #1 gets to back her up either. It was just interesting that this post did make some sense to me.

Why is it that the starters on a team are rarely asked to not play in order to help the team, but the backups always are? It is almost like a double standard based upon the ability level of a player.

And??? My DD is more important to me than the team--which is why fathers of good players shouldn't coach.

In the scenario, my DD is the #2 pitcher. We already isn't getting her way, because our way is that she is the #1 pitcher. The #1 pitcher gets all the choice assignments, and the #2 pitcher gets the scrub assignments. The #2 pitcher is out there with the starting shortstop on the bench and the #14 player on a 14 player roster out in right field. So, I think the #2 pitcher has already been more of a team player than anyone else on the team.

My DD should be good enough to pitch against the best competition around. If the coach doesn't think she can then either (A) the coach is crazy, meaning we need to find a different team or (B) my DD isn't as good as I thought she was, meaning we need to find a different team.

Apr 12, 2010

I think you're taking the proposal a little too personal.
He is thinking strategy and match-ups, and you are relapsing to "Crazy Daddy".

:)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2010
Interesting comments about where DD's should be pitching and why. Did anyone ever consider the #2 SS or the #14 RF's opinion of having to play behind #2 (or lower) pitchers? What would you do if they had the same comment about playing behind your #2 pitcher - "Awe, crap! I'm going to be shagging balls all day because #2 pitcher is in"?

Imagine you're the manager. Would you rather have a girl with mentality A: "How come I have to play with the not-so-good players, clearly I am better than so-and-so and should be #1 at my position. If I'm not #1 by the end of the season, I'm changing teams next year because daddy says I'm much better than this team"; or mentality B: "Great! I get a chance to show what I can do and probably get a lot of action, but that's just extra reps for me and maybe get more playing time because of what I do today. And if not, I'll work harder to get playing time".

DD is probably #4 or 5 pitcher on TB team - only gets to warm up at the beginning of the day and has only pitched 1 inning in a pre-season scrimmage. She's had other parents ask her why she isn't pitching more, she's as good/fast as #1 and should be pitching more to help the team win. She then asks me about it and I tell her "when you get your chance to pitch, show coach what you are capable of doing. Make it so obviously clear that you should be pitching more and he'll have no choice but to move you up on the list and pitch you more".

She knows she has to EARN a spot on the field, in the line-up, or in the circle. Nothing is going to be given to her. It's going to make her a better person overall.

Nov 18, 2009
The point I was trying to ask is: For a team that is used to seeing 47-55 mph from 35', do we have a better chance showing them 36?

Where are you located? This is my daughters 2nd year of 10u and we have never seen a pitcher throwing harder than 45ish.

Oct 19, 2009
Went with our current #2 and got base hit to death. Only extra base hit was a double which surprised me because these 10 YOs look like they're 16 and have OTF power as seen in other games. But it was 6-6 after two innings and then they pulled away. They had 16 singles, a double, 2 walks, couple RoE. Final was 17-6. As bad as it sounds it was a good experience for our kids. Gave our defense a lot of work. That team went on to win the tournament and run ruled the runner-up in 3 innings including an OTF homer by their first baseman. They are one heck of a disciplined hitting team.

I did talk to #5 mom before the game and she was totally against dd facing that team. My #1 had just pitched a CG prior and was slated for game 3 and our 3 & 4 are DL so I was kind of stuck.

Talked to the winning coach afterward and told him what I was considering. He said if we were mid-season it had a good chance of working but right now they would be all over it. Probably true. We won't see them again till late July.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01