Think I made a big mistake....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2010
Thanks for all the input. Yes her team doesn't really have any options for a catcher. Looks like the 3 pitchers will be the catchers too...I just hope they continue to try and develop another.

Sep 3, 2009
Rotate all the girls through the position during practice. You may find your next starter. I don't think at that age, that very many even consider the position. When they realize they're running the show, and get the ball all the time, things change. Alot of girls at that age will say they don't like something without ever having tried it. And do like Amy said, get Coach Weaver's dvd. It's an investment for your coaches.

May 5, 2008
My DD was in a similar position. We did let her catch on occasion, but she mostly pitched or played another infield position during tournaments. While she and another girl on the team who was in the exact same position were the best catchers, they were also the best pitchers and middle infield. But they can't play everywhere at once.

We trained another girl who did like to catch to be the "main" catcher, but we did allow my DD and the other girl to catch parts of some games. The hard part was finding someone to do a decent job in the hole they left in the infield.

But at that age, and even at 12U, I think it's a good idea to let them experience different positions.

My husband never wanted my DD catching because he said it would make her slow.

I talked with Brandon Marcello about that (at the time he was helping out the US National Team as a trainer) and he said that as long as she's doing other physical activities and movements (not just catching) that it probably wouldn't affect her much at all - especially since she wasn't going to be THE catcher on the team.

My husband was also worried about her getting run over at the plate on a play at home because she was smaller than most girls. I assured him I would teach her how to play the position as safely as possible and that the risk of her in a collision at SS was just as probable only she wouldn't be wearing gear there. So he told her to leave her helmet ON for plays at the plate and I know of a lot of catchers (especially those with the hockey style masks) that do keep their helmets on most of the game.

Catching is like any other position, the better trained a player is to play the position safely, the lower the risk of injury.

Jan 13, 2010
Stacie, Our situation is just like your DD's. The 3 pitchers are the best fielders and catchers. The team has a girl that wants to catch but she is by far the worse of the 4. The coaches are working with her so thats great. I can just imagine my DD become the main catcher and the #3 pitcher get more innings and the #2 pitcher playing infield mostly. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the coaches rotate the girls around and that the #4 catcher improves very fast.

Sep 3, 2009
My husband never wanted my DD catching because he said it would make her slow.

My husband was also worried about her getting run over at the plate on a play at home because she was smaller than most girls.

A few common stereotypes, that I myself was guilty of when my dd started catching. A good catcher has to be quick. Despite what a pitcher thinks, they're not just a backtop. A catcher needs to have quickness, in reaction, footwork, throwing, etc. And the "Pete Rose" plays at the plate... :p my dd is one of the two shortest on her team. The other short girl is the other catcher. If you do wind up getting Dave Weaver's dvd, it will show you the proper way to have them setup for plays at the plate. My dd has been knocked down on her keester more times at SS, than ever at catcher.

We had a phenomenal catcher 2 years ago on our high school team. She was a bigger girl, but fantastic at her position and would throw down to 2nd in a heartbeat. When she left, it was a major void on the team - she commanded the field during every game, calling plays and just talking it up out there. Another catcher came - young, but quick. She would run up the baseline to help "cover 1st", which confused the 1st baseman because she had never seen that action before. After the newbie got the groove of things, it came together, but she is certainly NOT our old catcher! There is another child who the coach wanted to catch (and had been catching). She is a taller girl and was slow in all of her movements - used her hands to hop up out of the hole to try and look for the ball and was not too intent on running to get it when it got past her, which was rather frequently. When she had a bad inning, it set the mojo for the rest of the team. I certainly have the utmost respect for the catchers because they are, as someone stated, the "field general". To find a good one is like having a 3 carat diamond ring! I'd let your daughter try it out and see if she'll shine there. Nothing worse than a player telling a coach "I really don't want to" or the parent backing them up to the coach. Saw that last season - child didn't want to play a position, came off the field whining to the parents, parents backed the child - child no longer has respect for the coach. Sad but true...Good luck! :)

Jan 13, 2010
Yes I am sure i did now. We haven't even had a tournament yet but I can see the writing on the wall. Very few innings for my DD since she is the only girl that can catch. The only one that can even try to throw a girl out at 2nd. What really gets me going, is the girl that wants to catch...the coaches don't even work on her. Hopefully they are outside of reg team practices but i doubt it. I can just see it now... DD catches the first two games on sat. then she gets the start in game 3. Doesn't do good so she doesn't pitch at all on sunday. As of right now, her and another girl are about the same as a pitcher goes. i am just not liking that her innings will be lower then they should be because she is the better (only option) catcher on the team.

Apr 1, 2010
Hmm, maybe you could offer to work with the catchers? Watch the New England catching dvd and see if you can use it to turn the girl who wants to catch into a good catcher. I don't think anyone else will be as motivated to see her succeed as you will. ;-) At the very least, if you have your daughter pitch to her as you're training her, she should become a better catcher for your daughter.

Oct 18, 2009
My 10yo DD was in a similar situation as yours last summer; because she was the best option at catcher she lost pitching innings and learned how to catch. A year later I'm glad she did. She's become a better all around player because of it. She pitches, catches and can play all other positions. I know every pitchers dad wants her in the circle as much as she can but I think at this age learning different positions is incredibly important to develop them as complete players. As our DDs gets older and go into higher levels of play less and less girls get to pitch. The ability to be able to play different positions and most of all hit will make her more valuable to teams and get her the most playing time and enjoyment of the game. IMHO a big mistake at 10u/12u is for girls to only develop as pitchers or be convinced that the only way they have fun playing is pitching.

If your DD keeps up her side work and is really meant to be a pitcher she will eventually get her innings. Helping develop/draft other catchers won't hurt either. I continue to send out catching clinic info whenever I hear about some to other potential catchers parents secretly hoping someone will develop and take that position from my DD for at least one of her teams.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish