Think I made a big mistake....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2010
My DD plays on a 10U team. They are a pretty young 10 having only 5 10yo players, all the others are either 9 or 8. Of those 5 she is the #1 pitcher and #1 or 2 infielder. The team also doesn't have anyone that can or wants to catch. So you have guessed it, now they want my daughter to catch also. I told them its fine as long as its only one game per day at tournaments. Also asked that she wouldn't catch the game before they wanted her to pitch. This morning, the more i think about it the more i wish i would have said no. I would like to know what you all think, when she the needs for my DD come before the needs of the team? I just don't want to see her take a foul tip or get run over and get hurt. Also don't want to wear her legs out.

I realize its just 10U and most good pitchers are going to be your best all around players usually, but i don't want to see her catching at all when she gets older. I'm not sure if i have seen a pitch doing any catching at 14U. Where do other teams have their pitchers play when they aren't pitching?

thanks

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Yep, big mistake making your kid the field general.

Seriously, your concerns are a little overblown.
1. There are ways to get other kids to catch.
2. Foul tips can hurt but usually a short time out remedies most.
3. How many plays at the plate are there in 10U and most leagues require a slide if there is a play at the plate. They are 10 how hard could she get mowed if it did happen.
4. You seem to have an aversion to catching. What happens if she turns twelve and she isn't the best pitcher on the team and they want her to play OF? What happens if she decides she doesn't want to play ball?

My daughter was asked to catch two years ago so we took on the task of learning the position. There is a lot to learn especially if they grow in the position and take on the role of the field general. Has she been hurt in games? Yes, but not as bad as some of the hits she's taken at the plate. She is well respected by the coaches and her teammates and recruited regularly. I'd go with the flow and see what happens.

Sep 3, 2009
I can certainly understand your concerns, if pitching is your dd's passion and the direction she wants to go. The backstop is probably the most difficult position that nobody wants. They will either hate it, or love it. If they love it, nurture it because they will be needed especially in the older divisions. If she is not "into it", then I'd have a talk with the coach and have them put the gear on someone else. They should be putting someone back there that wants to be there, and has a general aptitude for the position. If they're just trying to put a body back there, that's not a good thing IMO.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD volunteered to catch in Fall 2008 , contiued this past Spring & Fall. Catchers are in every play of every game, as is the pitcher. DD improved as a pitcher by learning to catch and thinking thru the game the way a cather does.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
It takes a certain type kid to 'want' to catch. Those who love the game, pitch and catch
because they love to have the ball. She is very young, try it, if she likes it, then you were wrong.
Reading your post, it seems as though you have the aversion to catching, what does dd think?
Let her forge her own softball path.

All this being said, we had a 2nd catcher get injured on my 14U travel team. We are developing
a 2nd catcher from within. Once she got past the fear of stinging hands from 55mph pitches, she
is enjoying learning and is improving adequately. It was a big boost to her confidence when she
had a perfect throwdown to 3B for the 2nd out in the bottom of the 5th last week to preserve
a 2-1 win

Jan 13, 2010
thanks for all the input. I will see how she does and take it from there. From taking with her she feels the same....will try it but doesn't really want to do it. As i have said this is a young team, DD and the other pitcher are the only girls that can ever attempt to throw a runnerout at 2nd or 3rd. I just think that whenever she isn't pitching she will be catching.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Keep it all in perspective, she is only 10, there are very few 10's that can throw
out a runner at 2B, if she is a good pitcher, then, you will find/develop a catcher

Jan 15, 2009
I'd encourage a kid that young to play as many positions as possible to learn the game and figure out what they do and don't like. If she sticks with pitching eventually the work to improve at that position will make it difficult to find time to develop other positions, but IME half the kids that start out pitching at 10U are not still pitching at 14U so learning other positions is good insurance.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Where do other teams have their pitchers play when they aren't pitching?

At 16U, the vast majority sit the bench and watch the game. In college, they are lucky to get to swing a bat. Basically, a pitcher spends more time watching softball than playing softball.

You should relax. It is 10U. She isn't going to get hurt. These kids aren't exactly 240 lb linebackers running a 4.4 40.

Quick story: There was a kid who was the best player by far on the team. She played on one of the well-known travel ball teams, and was destined to get a full ride D1 scholarship. When she was 13YOA, she decided she wanted to catch. Her father wanted her to play SS. They had a fight, and she quit the team, and never played again.

If she is OK with catching, then let her catch and enjoy herself.

Feb 8, 2009
To make your number 1 pitcher a catcher, you have to have no options whatsoever. Your daughter will learn much as a catcher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish