The surrounding talent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2014
I've been struggling with an issue lately that I'd like some feedback with. My DD is 12 and in middle school, all of her experience is of the LL variety, we just haven't invested the time or expense that a travel ball team requires. Her level of talent is decent, and her motivation is through the roof. The local LL registers a month before the middle school holds tryouts, and while I'm certain she'll make the team, she probably won't unseat the 2 starting pictures (one grade year ahead) currently on the team, which means she likely won't receive a whole lot of game time experience. The level of talent on the local LL team is at best subpar (expecially at the catching position). When she's played in the past, she gets frustrated because so many of her pitches get dropped and batters reach because the catcher doesn't react quickly enough to through the runner out on a dropped third. In the somewhat rare occasion that a ball is hit into play, it's at best a 50-50 proposition as to whether the ball will be fielded properly. As you can imagine, this stuff plays hell on her composure and makes it difficult for her both physically and mentally.

So the question is: Should I have her play LL even though the catching and fielding around her frustrates her just for the sake of playing time? I realize the best answer is for her to get onto a travel team, but location plays a huge factor.

Jun 24, 2013
She needs to get over “the lack” of talent around her, mostly I hear this from pitcher's parents.

If she wants to play let her play, if she does do not force her. She knows what she is signing up for.

There is no substitute for pitching in a live game, so where ever that is,get her there. If it's the local LL then that is a great place to be. If she/you work hard on pitching her talent level will show and the travel ball teams will come calling......always better if someone is chasing you.

Jul 17, 2012
I'm certain she'll make the team, she probably won't unseat the 2 starting pictures (one grade year ahead) currently on the team

Why not? Work....Work.....Work .......that is, if she really wants it.

Nov 18, 2013
She needs to get over “the lack” of talent around her, mostly I hear this from pitcher's parents.

If she wants to play let her play, if she does do not force her. She knows what she is signing up for.

I couldn't agree more. Pitchers parents are usually the first to blame other kids for their own DD's misfortunes. One of the hardest things for a pitcher to do is keep their composure and focus on things they can control. This will be a great learning experience for her.

Also I have yet to see a pitcher hit their spots 100% of the time and until she does it's not fair to blame the catcher or her fielders when things don't go well.

Jan 17, 2014
Middle America
Move her to travel. It gets difficult to "step up" and make a team, later on.

Totally agree with this. I wish we would have moved 2nd year of 10u. Really good rec players don't have to try to be better than the pack. They never get any better or want to practice. If your DD is serious you need to push a little. I made a schedule of all the tryouts within an hour drive and put it on the fridge. I let her decide which ones we were going to. I nudged her to the first one and the rest is history.

Oct 22, 2009
I'd prefer her to move up as opposed to staying back in LL and being so frustrated that she quits.

Competition can really help her especially if she is a motivated as you say she is.

Oct 10, 2011
Wow

We hear this all the time from one of DD'S teammate's parents. "She may not have hit her spots, but she also didn't get any help from her defense! "
It's like a broken record. We Love her anyway.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2014
While I appreciate the advice I think some of you might have gotten the wrong impression. This is not a primadona whinning about the lack of support she's getting. Or a parent who is unrealistically gauging their daughter's capabilities. I never said she hits all of her spots (although I don't know if any 12 year old does), and at this stage, I know she is an average to slightly above average player. This past spring season, she averaged 4 dropped third strike stolen bases a game (several of which were called strikes). She fought through it and still performed well. My concern (and for those of you who answered thank you very much) is whether playing under those conditions might cause some frustration that could have some lingering mal-effects.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes