The surrounding talent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2012
Sorry - I've been stuck in the house FOREVER due to snow... Rec is obviously everyone plays, Travel is the best the town, and club is the best of surrounding areas. We drive 1/2 hour to participate in practices, scrimmages, workouts. Club really only plays in tournaments or scrimmages against other club teams. It's really for the girls who want to take it to the next level and have made softball their life. Everyone is amazing on club teams. Whether it is our team or another club team, I admire all the girls on the field! I'm not sure if your area has this but I would definately inquire. It can be expensive but was definately the right choice for us. Several club teams do fund raisers to help with the cost. Maybe even see if she wants to guest for a team before actually joining. If she does that, remind her that the bond with the girls is from them playing together all fall, practice in the winter, etc. They may just not know her well enough to have the same bond but eventually she will get there. It's also great because the girls are from so many different areas, my DD does not have the same drama as she does in school. They all go to different schools. Who cares if so and so did this in school... Or maybe you want to vent to the girls about what happened that day... They won't take sides or judge you... The other girls don't know who you are talking about. And then you have the field bonding. They are always trying to out do each other because they are so competative. Not a nasty competative - a healthy competative...

Good story. But what is club? I understand rec and travel, but not sure I've heard of club.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Sorry - I've been stuck in the house FOREVER due to snow... Rec is obviously everyone plays, Travel is the best the town, and club is the best of surrounding areas. We drive 1/2 hour to participate in practices, scrimmages, workouts. Club really only plays in tournaments or scrimmages against other club teams. It's really for the girls who want to take it to the next level and have made softball their life. Everyone is amazing on club teams. Whether it is our team or another club team, I admire all the girls on the field! I'm not sure if your area has this but I would definately inquire. It can be expensive but was definately the right choice for us. Several club teams do fund raisers to help with the cost. Maybe even see if she wants to guest for a team before actually joining. If she does that, remind her that the bond with the girls is from them playing together all fall, practice in the winter, etc. They may just not know her well enough to have the same bond but eventually she will get there. It's also great because the girls are from so many different areas, my DD does not have the same drama as she does in school. They all go to different schools. Who cares if so and so did this in school... Or maybe you want to vent to the girls about what happened that day... They won't take sides or judge you... The other girls don't know who you are talking about. And then you have the field bonding. They are always trying to out do each other because they are so competative. Not a nasty competative - a healthy competative...

Thanks, Dana. I've had to learn that different parts of the country have different ''dialects'' when talking softball. In Georgia and North Carolina, I've never heard what you describe as being ''club'' ball, but I've heard of soccer and volleyball teams refer to themselves as ''club'' teams. Where I've been, any team that plays tournaments (besides rec all-star teams) and stays together most of the year is called a travel team. Some might be much better than others, obviously, but all are still travel teams.

Also in GA and NC, the terms 'A' team and 'B' team are subjective descriptions of how good you think your team is. But I understand that in some places, they are used to describe how the teams are built, where the players come from, whether it's from one park or town or county vs. from anywhere.

Further, in Georgia, you have 'pick-up' players. In NC, they are called 'guest' players. You might pick up with a team in Georgia one week, and guest-play for a team in NC the next. Maybe someone should draw a map of the U.S. and explain the dialects.

May 21, 2012
That's why I love this board... I learn so much...

And yes - in NJ we also use the level thing... Town travel may be a "B" level if they are good... Club is usually "A" level maybe some "B" levels for first year players... Thank for that... :)

Dec 29, 2010
Toquin, does she take lessons? How is the ms coach? Does he teach the fundemantals or just a paid baby sitter. If she loves the game that much and you have the time and committment get her on a tourament/club team. You be suprised how much talent is out there at the same age as your dd because they started earlier than your dd.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1