the spark plug

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2012
NJ
So my DD has played for 2 tb teams in her "career". 3 seasons with 1, and 1 with our current. We also recently finished our 1st yr of HS ball too. DD made V as a frosh, but something just seemed off with the team. I have realized now, that we have never played for a team that had a "spark plug"..someone to rally everyone and get them going emotionally. I have always viewed the role as something every team has...and its sort of an intangible. I've never thought much of it, and there is no way to rate it, but as we age up...it seems to be something that a team can't do without. At the younger levels, pure ability/talent can be enough...but as the ages go up and the skill levels kinda start to "even out"...its hard not to have that person in your dugout and push you to play above your level...thoughts? I know you can't create this position..but someone needs to grab it on every team i think. Thought every team had one, but im starting to see maybe not...what to do?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've noticed on my daughter's teams (and also on my own teams back in the day) that there was great value in having a player that I will describe as ''everybody's friend.'' She's kinda the glue. She bridges all cliques (or classes in high school). She knows and likes everybody, and everybody likes and respects her in return. Role model type. It's not always a great player, but one who is respected. Might be their personality, their character, work ethic. Might be that you just like the person. They're fun to be around. If she's excited about playing and winning, her teammates follow. It's not a given that a team will have a player like this. I'd say I've seen it on half my daughter's teams.

Dec 27, 2014
Interesting observation.

Trying to get DD to take more of a leadership role on her rec team. She is well liked as a person, and certainly a team leader with play on the field but, is not comfortable yet really exerting her will to teammates. She is nine on a team of 9-11 but most are very new or un-accomplished in this game and the team could use the help. Maybe in time.

Her first year TB team has a player that leads with spunky play on the field and strategic talk in the dugout, earning her an ealry nod as a spark plug type of team mate - even at 10. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12