The short distance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
I Umpired this year at our LL district allstar tourney. In LL some of the younger ages play with a 11 in ball and pitch from 35 Feet.
There was one girl that pitched that was nearly as tall as me and from 35 FT throwing that small ball she was unhittable. It was hard to keep up with it from behind the plate. It was said that she was right at 60 from that distance with the smaller ball.

Should this change you think? Should the distance be moved ? She was the only one that threw anywhere close to this fast. She was way ahead of all the other girls her age.

I was told she was not allowed on any travel teams in her area because she was not "Popular". I cant verify this. She is not from my local area. She was good enough to play way up in age though.

May 7, 2008
wild man- I do not believe that you can change the rules simply because this girl is outstanding for her age. It is not her fault and she should not be penalized for being who she is. It is a very dangerous precedent to do this. Maybe she should simply play up a level so that she will develop more as the competition gets more closely to her level of play. I would think that her parents would want this also.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I agree. I wouldn't change it just because one player is dominant. There are a whole lot other girls who no doubt struggle with where things are now. As RMGC says, she can always move up. Moving the pitching distance back, or playing with a bigger ball, would probably discourage more girls from pitching. And our sport doesn't need that.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
The pitch only looked 60 compared to the 35-40 mph that every other 10U girl throws.
If she is an absolute stud, she might throw in the high 40's at that age. Bless her for her talent
either way. LL rules prohibit her from throwing more than one game in 3 days, this rule will help even
the field

Jul 26, 2010
You realize that in 10u, not all of the girls are 11 year old twinks that some insecure coach stuck on a team in hopes to get a trophy. Many of them are 7 and 8 year olds, and the 12 inch ball really is too big for them to deal with.

The problem you describe is really a coach/parent issue. The kid should have moved up, instead of being content on pummeling 7 year olds weekend after weekend.

-W

May 5, 2008
I agree with the others - can't change regulations based upon ONE phenom. It wouldn't be fair to anyone (not her, not anyone else)!

Jul 28, 2008
You realize that in 10u, not all of the girls are 11 year old twinks that some insecure coach stuck on a team in hopes to get a trophy. Many of them are 7 and 8 year olds, and the 12 inch ball really is too big for them to deal with.

The problem you describe is really a coach/parent issue. The kid should have moved up, instead of being content on pummeling 7 year olds weekend after weekend.

-W
With 9-10 LL all-star teams, you must be league age 9 or 10 to be eligible. There are no 7 or 8 yr old's playing.

Jun 13, 2010
I guess you are correct about not changing it for one girl. Now that I think about it I guess she stuck out so much because girls at this age that are super good stand out more. As they get older there are less and less super standouts.

As far as the 60 mph thing it is just what some coaches and parents were spouting, And you know how that goes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish