the PowerPush

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2010
My youngest DD is being taught to YES pivot her foot about 45 degrees just before she strides. Should I question this?

Absolutely question it! If she is turning her pivot foot as she is pushing, she is losing power.

Jul 26, 2010
The pitcher is trying to launch towards the catcher, just like a sprinter would leaving the starting line. Ever see a runner twist their foot out 45 degrees to do this? The "evil red shoe", as it's known to pitching students around here, gives them instant feedback that they are turning their foot. It doesn't really keep them from doing it, as the thing will just be knocked off the rubber, but all they really need is the feedback and instruction on how to correct.

For what it's worth, unless you're a pitching instructor it's probably not worth it to get one, as most kids can correct this problem in a few weeks of practice. You can also use a softball placed on the ground right next to their big toe. If they twist their foot they'll knock the softball out of position. Feedback is the same, it just takes longer to set up and doesn't look as "evil" (or as red for that matter).

-W

Dec 20, 2012
The pitcher is trying to launch towards the catcher, just like a sprinter would leaving the starting line. Ever see a runner twist their foot out 45 degrees to do this? The "evil red shoe", as it's known to pitching students around here, gives them instant feedback that they are turning their foot. It doesn't really keep them from doing it, as the thing will just be knocked off the rubber, but all they really need is the feedback and instruction on how to correct.

For what it's worth, unless you're a pitching instructor it's probably not worth it to get one, as most kids can correct this problem in a few weeks of practice. You can also use a softball placed on the ground right next to their big toe. If they twist their foot they'll knock the softball out of position. Feedback is the same, it just takes longer to set up and doesn't look as "evil" (or as red for that matter).

-W

Coach Holas at U of H did a drill with my dd to help with turning the foot on the push. Put a tennis under your drive foot, where the toes bend. When you drive straight the tennis ball should go straight back, If you turn your foot, the ball will go as the foot goes. Works but you have to chase down tennis balls.

May 10, 2010
I may be mistaken but on a previous thread concerning the push off foot several regulars ( Hal and Amy I think ???) taught angling the foot on push off. Curious if I am remembering that thread correctly.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
Has anyone used this training aid? How do you feel about it.

I have a pitcher who pivots her foot and is losing pushoff power. Is it worth the $50, or should I attempt to make one myself.

My DD had a similar issue. She struggled with it because everyone approaches fixing it by addressing the foot. I came across a post here where a Dad said his DD fixed it by focusing on the knee. Keep the knee pointed at the target and the foot follows. If you let the knee rotate out, the foot will rotate. I tried that with my DD and her issue was immediately fixed. She has incorporated the thought into her pitch. load over the knee, keep the knee pointing forward.

Focusing on the knee orientation made it an easy fix for my DD after years of struggle. May work for your pitcher as well.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
ddx, Yes, in the past, I did teach angling the foot. In fact with beginners, I taught a complete turn. I have since corrected my lessons and explain the drive forward, correctly. But, I would give the instructor the chance to explain himself, he may be teaching beginners differently than he would an older student.

Jul 26, 2010
That's what makes Amy a great instructor. The best teachers never stop learning.

I'll never forget the first time I attended a clinic with Mike Candrea, and one of the first things he said was, "Look, I know there is a lot of information and even video out there of me teaching things that I used to do. I'm here to tell you that I was wrong." He went on to explain what he learned along the way and how he teaches things now. That one phrase meant all the difference in the world to me.

-W

Nov 27, 2010
I like the look of this tool, but we just stand a pop can or two next to the heel and just about 6" straight towards the catcher. Tip one over, pick it up. Seemed to accomplish the same thing and a lot easier to carry.

Apr 2, 2011
My youngest DD is being taught to YES pivot her foot about 45 degrees just before she strides. Should I question this?

Bill Hillhouse is one of the major supporters of the PowerPush. Why try and make something out of wood that is already made and will last a lifetime. This being made of polypropalyne is very light and looks great next to her 300 dollar bat. One time that your plywood version gets stepped on and its back to the garage. Com on, it's worth every penny! Works awsum and teaches the most important thing your pitcher can be doing with her push.

PowerPush Headquarters

Jan 21, 2013
Chill out. There is nothing wrong with a hand-made version that avoids the rip-off prices the product is sold for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32