the PowerPush

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I have said this on message boards long before this one came along.

I always start new or very young beginners out with the pivot foot at 45 degrees. Starting at that angle pretty m,uch compels them to open their hips. Affter they were more experienced most would gravitate to an angle much closer to straight. Some would stay at an angle closer to 45 degrees. I let them push off at whatever angle they felt the most comfortable with. As long as the ball of the foot was directly above the top front edge of the rubber, it was fine with me.

As long as they were coimfortable with it and there was at least on a little angle it all worked out just fine.

Driving forward with the pivot foot straight forward always seemed to make me, and some students I tried this with, have to force the hips to come open. Instead of opening the hips to a 45 degree angle, or thereabouts, now it felt more like something you had to force your body to do.

When it came to opening and closing the hips, you dont want to slam the door closed. YOU DONT WANT TO HAVE TO SLAM THE DOOR OPEN EITHER!

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2012
PA
Thanks all. We made one out of wood (and by we I mean I bougt the supplies and a friend made it). My pitcher has beeusing it for about 3 weeks, she is a driven 15 y/o, she ues it 2-3 days a week. The change has been great s far, her foot is staying straight and not completely turning off the mound. I have seen a change in speed and power (even she is begining to feel the dfference when she keeps it straight).

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
My youngest DD is being taught to YES pivot her foot about 45 degrees just before she strides. Should I question this?

I started all my students with the pivot foot at or near 45 degrees to ensure they would open the hips to at least 45 degrees and have the hips at 45 degrees at landing foot touchdown.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1