The other side to the "Multi-Sport Athlete"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
until your oldest is driving, make certain your youngest convinces one of her friends to do the same activities, ready made carpool option ;)
lol..it is a he but I will take that into consideration. That one is already causing me problems since he is a lefty and I have been spending all my time teaching my oldest and middle to play MI. Going to have to brush up on my OF teaching skills (he isn't going to have a 1B build :p )

May 6, 2015
lol..it is a he but I will take that into consideration. That one is already causing me problems since he is a lefty and I have been spending all my time teaching my oldest and middle to play MI. Going to have to brush up on my OF teaching skills (he isn't going to have a 1B build :p )

always a market for a lefty pitcher! or maybe he'll prefer soccer or lacrosse or whatever ;)

May 27, 2013
Here’s what it comes down to - don’t concern yourself with what others think is right or wrong for your kid. If they want to play different sports, let them. If they want to only play one, let them do that, as well. Don’t let the hope of going D1 at the ripe old age of 12 cloud you and your dd’s decision to not play other sports if that’s what she’d really like to do and is feasible. It’s more about what *she* will be happy doing in the end as opposed to what some perceive as a bragging right. There is no right or wrong to one vs the other to this general question. It is very much individual driven.

Oct 4, 2018
I wonder how much of the “ceiling space” coaches claim to be looking for is an effect of them wanting their athletes to do things “the right way” i.e. their way.

If a coach has to choose between a good athlete who can be molded versus an 18-year-old who has been squishing bugs for 10 years but still rakes, is the former a better choice?

I can see where all the reps that specialized players bring could deeply ingrain some bad habits and a coach who is there to teach would rather have the kid who is more malleable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point.

If a girl has been hitting one way for 10 years, can a college coach change that? Quickly? Will they even want to deal with that?

Oct 4, 2018
My daughter is 8 and plays softball, runs track and plays basketball. She stands out now because she is just a better athlete than most of the girls her age at this point. We practice softball all year round, but her favorite sport without a doubt is track. Unfortunately in Ohio track is a short season for her. I don't know what sports she will stick with or like when she gets older. At some point the other girls will catch up to her athletically and she will have to work a lot harder to be good at a particular sport. I hope she sticks with softball because that's what I like watching the most, but that will be her choice.

Yes, her choice. I agree (wink wink).

Definitely her choice, and she'll make the right one.

Sep 3, 2013
Illinois
The only wrong way is forcing your daughter to do something she doesn't want to and thus making her hate it. If she wants to play another sport let her. She won't hate you or her sport(softball) for it.

It is their journey. Be an advisor and a supporter, not a dictator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG