The most important person

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
A new coach asked me yesterday ''I am taking my first team next year whats the first thing I need to do?
My response was " get a Softball MOM you cannot survive without a Softball MOM Get 2 or 3 if possible."

Softball MOM does sooooo many things that you will not have time for. Remember you are a guy coaching girls you MUST HAVE SOFTBALL MOM.

I would list what my Softball MOM does for me but theirs not enough room.

Does any one disagree?:D

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
They are definitely needed. I'm not sure about all governing bodies, but for our All Star teams (this is not just a local rule) you are required to have one. She has much fancier name (book keeper or something like that). She's in charge of ordering uniforms, paper work, paying money, calling girls, etc. She doesn't even have to keep the score book, someone else can do it but you are required to have an adult in that position.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Dealing with young girls, I think there should always be a women in some type of authority role.

Yes a woman's touch is always good. Us men need to remember we are working with the boys. Girls need to have fun to play is always true. And Amy, my hat is always off too you. You defend the girls and still support us guys!

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
It doesn't have to be a woman, but when a team is coached by all males it is nice to have a team mom to go to if you need support or are having girl issues. You need a woman in there somewhere.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One of the greatest helpers that I have found, is the "grill guy." It typically is a male and he can do about everything.

OT, a little . I have coached a lot of baseball. One year, the boys were about 14 and I hear them talking about "whizzing in a hole." One of the boys had enough sense to say "kristofer's mother is here!" The dear little offensive boy said "she's not a mom. That's coach."

Dec 19, 2009
I agree with the team mom but I'll go one step further when it comes to being a tournament/select coach and say it's just as important to have an understanding spouse. I'd be cuious how many marriages select ball has driven a wedge through.

My team mom's DD called me yesterday and joked the Dr. told her she couldn't play anymore. I replied that was fine as long as your mom can still be involved. :)

Jun 13, 2010
I agree with the team mom but I'll go one step further when it comes to being a tournament/select coach and say it's just as important to have an understanding spouse. I'd be cuious how many marriages select ball has driven a wedge through.

My team mom's DD called me yesterday and joked the Dr. told her she couldn't play anymore. I replied that was fine as long as your mom can still be involved. :)

I suppose it does not have to be a woman. And I really appreciate your support of us guys. BUT I think a female element on the team that is not a coach really helps at least is does me.

Here is an example of something that happened to me once. We were at a game that was about an hour from start time. a 13 year old came up to me and says" I need help with my bra coach nobody else can get it ". At this she started pulling off her shirt, I promptly stopped her and directd her to Softball MOM.

One thing to rember about Softball players is that they are a little rough around the edges and some are really "out there". And when they get to know you they dont view you as a "guy" to them you are "Coach". They look at you as as an athourity figure and they trust you.

I for one cannot survive without my Softball MOM and last year I had 3 of them I was very lucky.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog