The magical riseball story.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2009
Mrek, it is not enough to just lay the index finger over. You have to dig the middle finger edge of the index finger down towards the center of the ball, dig it in hard. It makes all the difference in the world. Young girls hate that grip when they first start with it, it is not comfortable at all. They hate until they see what it does in a game then they love it.

"Batters hit them out of the park all the time." The cut rise, oh yeah, pounded hard all the time. The bent fingered rise thrown with some practice, hardly ever hit hard. It can be thrown much faster than 60mph and still hop up and still be caught. But you better be experienced at it or be prepared to take shots off the mask. :)

She does not lay her finger on the seam. She digs in hard. When she is throwing well, her index finger will be substatially bigger than her other fingers. she calls it the "fat finger" but she knows it accompanies some decent riseballs.

Sorry, but I am in the camp that doesn't believe in "hop".
"Hop" to the batter is an illusion.
I do believe the rise "falls slower" than non-backspin pitches.

If you are 6-6", you probably were hitting near or above 80MPH. (My DD can get the rise to 60MHP)
That velocity makes catching more difficult, but not because of the "hop". Just less reaction time to location.
Add the velocity to the visualization from on top of the pitch and I believe you and the batters would "see" quite a "hop".

Jan 23, 2009
She does not lay her finger on the seam. She digs in hard. When she is throwing well, her index finger will be substatially bigger than her other fingers. she calls it the "fat finger" but she knows it accompanies some decent riseballs.

Sorry, but I am in the camp that doesn't believe in "hop".
"Hop" to the batter is an illusion.
I do believe the rise "falls slower" than non-backspin pitches.

If you are 6-6", you probably were hitting near or above 80MPH. (My DD can get the rise to 60MHP)
That velocity makes catching more difficult, but not because of the "hop". Just less reaction time to location.
Add the velocity to the visualization from on top of the pitch and I believe you and the batters would "see" quite a "hop".

BTW... From the catching position, her low rise looks like it has more "hop" than rise up in the zone.
Another point why I believe visual angle has alot to do with.
Even from the catching position I see the pitch from a steeper angle.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The 1979 National champs of the ASA Mens Major A div was Dave Able insurance from Modesto, CA.

The 1979 National champs of the ASA Mens A division was Joaquin Construction also of Modesto, CA.

The inaugural game for Rainbow Fields in early 1980 was Joaquin vs Dave Abel.

I pitched for Joaquin. We won that game 5-0 and I had alot of strike outs, enough that they called me and asked me to pitch for them a few days later.

Hard to believe the best team in the ASA Mens Major A div could be fooled by an illusion. About 6 months before that I pitched my guys to that national championship and its hard to believe we got there and beat the best in the US with that illusion pitch.

Some day you will see one you WONT confuse for an illusion.

Tell her to keep working with it and be sure to experiment with dropping that throwing shoulder right at release. I trust she is leap and drag and is releasing it in front of the hip.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Hard to believe so many of the best team in the ASA Mens Major A div could be fooled by an illusion. About 6 months before that I pitched my guys to that national championship and its hard to believe we got there and beat the best in the US with that illusion pitch.

What is hard to believe about good pitching beating good hitting? That's axiom is as old as baseball or softball.

The "illusion" is batters swinging too low based on thousands and thousands of repetitions of where they "expect" the ball to be. Just because a batter swings under a pitch, does not mean the ball "hopped" over their bat. But it sure would "look" that way to the naked eye.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
maybe it's the number of times I've seen the signature but I am about to buy sneaky softball tricks.... total hijack coming...

Hal if I get the digital version do I get it immediately?

Yes, immediately in PDF format. Everything on the bent fingered rise is on this board, just so you know.

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
How many spins per second does it take to make a Dudley SB12L hiss so loud they can hear it in the bleachers and the entire infield?. My guys out in the field saw it but did not hear it.

Dec 20, 2012
How many spins per second does it take to make a Dudley SB12L hiss so loud they can hear it in the bleachers and the entire infield?. My guys out in the field saw it but did not hear it.

How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop? What does that have to do with a rise ball. You can get a hiss from speed not necessarily revs.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW

I have to say that is one of my favorite sounds. Especially in a small gym with just one pitcher--cool stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs