The latest guru on Twitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I don't think anybody has jumped on me to be honest, so we are good. Regarding Pujois using that cue.. sure maybe he never heard of TTB. But to me, that's irrelevant. What he does demo is something entirely different than TTB. So of if his approach during BP and warm up is knob to the ball, then why is he TTB? He's an expert and true pro with tons of success..I'm pretty sure he can handle a bat make it do whatever he wants. Miggy's advice is palm up/palm down and getting on plane early and staying on plane until contact where he thinks up through. I understand how TTB achieves this, But he doesn't say anything about actively TTB with his hands to achieve this. So why does he do it? Not because he is actively thinking TTB. So why do we put so much emphasis on TTB

Do you have a link where Miggy gives advice on "getting on plane early"?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Fair enough, I can understand that. Now explain what Pujois and Bustos is getting at in the videos I posted and how that relates to TTB

Bustos acknowledges that she teaches what she's been taught, and not necessarily what she herself does. Some folks gravitate towards making a buck.

May 3, 2014
Please expand on "setting the hands".

Don't read too much into it. Just the visualization of a ball on tee in a middle/middle location where you could simply turn the bottom half of the pvc into the ball just by TTB or turning the knob. There are obviously micro movements going on as you start to turn the barrel to get on plane with a different location than mid/mid

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
On the other side, are the 'barrel-centric' folks. Some of them also tend to exaggerate what the hand-centric group is saying. Making comments about swinging out front, moving the knob down the length of the arms, or moving the knob to a certain location and then launching, implying that there are two completely separate motions. This is also inaccurate and is a misrepresentation.
I would agree with you if some/one of the biggest proponents of the "hand-centric" group didn't post on many an occasion that there is actually a "swing launch", and then a "barrel launch"....using the Manny BP in the cage clip to edit, separate, and define the two.

I'm also still waiting for any of them to state if the swing launch starts from the "launch position" as I believe it to be where the TTB launches from...or if there is some other "direction" the hands are taken or moved to depending on pitch location from where the "launch" of the swing begins from there.

I'd also be interested in someone defining that once the hitter decides to "GO!" or swing, how the barrel continues to "load" in that swinging/unloading process...and if the barrel is indeed still loading after the swing is launched...when (if ever) does it unload, and how?

Again, maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I've asked the questions on many occasions in the past, and only get nasty insulting replies (no one here has done that...thank you all, and why I enjoy posting here), and not a single answer to what I would think are pretty simple questions to answer in a true "baseball debate" on the subject. JMO anyway...

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
I would agree with you if some/one of the biggest proponents of the "hand-centric" group didn't post on many an occasion that there is actually a "swing launch", and then a "barrel launch"....using the Manny BP in the cage clip to edit, separate, and define the two.

I'm also still waiting for any of them to state if the swing launch starts from the "launch position" as I believe to be where the TTB launches from...or if there is some other "direction" the hands are taken or moved to depending on pitch location from where the "launch" of the swing begins.

I'd also be interested in someone defining that once the hitter decides to "GO!" or swing, how the barrel continues to "load" in that swinging/unloading process...and if the barrel is indeed still loading after the swing is launched...when (if ever) does it unload, and how?

I read some of the recent BBD discussions. I still swing it enough to know I can't have 2 thoughts. It's launch for me and I adjust as I launch - getting on plane. The heavier the bat the more I feel like I have to snap the crap out of it to get the barrel moving. Open chain body parts like your elbow slot automatically as you TTB. I would say I already know by the time I launch where I want to go but no way it's direct then launch.

May 3, 2014
I also ended buying one of those connector thig a ma jigs. Great tool for stop swings to really isolate the forearms. Learning to keep the scap back and using your forearms to TTB while your rear leg advances the barrel around. But, I know it would be easy to misuse it and just promote an spinal swing locking the arms to the body.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I also ended buying one of those connector thig a ma jigs. Great tool for stop swings to really isolate the forearms. Learning to keep the scap back and using your forearms to TTB while your rear leg advances the barrel around. But, I know it would be easy to misuse it and just promote an spinal swing locking the arms to the body.

Learning to allow scapular retraction to take place ... i.e., lose the arm wrestling match.

Your torso-engine advances the barrel around.

May 3, 2014
What... Setting the hands on plane for a pitch in a average location and then adjusting... What a radical idea/cue!!!

I don't mind the snarkiness. I get that TTB is not an easy thing to teach and learn and the frustration that comes with it.

Here is same player using 2 different barrel positions. One is turning down to catcher and one is turning back towards catcher. Both barrels are being turned forward by the rear leg as the hands/forearms set the plane

OU5CXf.gif

ivuhzG.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30