The latest guru on Twitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
I am just repeating what Butternmaker said.. Why are curious with what I am saying.. Go to the horses mouth.. Not the parrot. The reasom why I was intrigued with what he said is because I also use a cue which helps my DD get to picthes in all locations ... Except we don't emphasize TTB.. If we did, this discussion wouldnt be so popular.
I only asked your take on it because I already know what Butter teaches (we've had plenty discussions, disagreements, PMs, and came to a consensus elsewhere), and I think you're trying to read something into what he wrote that's not there...or maybe I'm out of the loop of what he's now teaching, and it's somehow different now that what it was when.

I don't believe he's saying that the TTB happens from somewhere other than the hitters "launch position" (Hudgens called it "Position of Power", and I remember FFS saying Slaught had another name for it)...but others will say that hitters take their hands from that "launch position" to some other spot before the actually "launch" the barrel. I'm just trying to figure out what it is you're saying is all.

But no biggie if you'd rather not answer, it's not that important to me, and I'm OK if you're beliefs/teachings don't match mine.

All the best,
MB

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I am just repeating what Butternmaker said.. Why are curious with what I am saying.. Go to the horses mouth.. Not the parrot. The reasom why I was intrigued with what he said is because I also use a cue which helps my DD get to picthes in all locations ... Except we don't emphasize TTB.. If we did, this discussion wouldnt be so popular.

buttermaker said...
"What has been resonating for the hitters I work with is the simple cue of setting the hands on plane for a middle/middle pitch and adjusting from there as they turn the barrel."

In response to 'setting hands' anywhere . I'm more of the notion that the hands should be free(tds) to adjust to where the eyes tell them to. Now if your talking "LOOKING" middle and adjusting out or in. I do see that as a great approach . As far as up and down. You could only look high and adjust low. Because of gravity and time . imo.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I only asked your take on it because I already know what Butter teaches (we've had plenty discussions, disagreements, PMs, and came to a consensus elsewhere), and I think you're trying to read something into what he wrote that's not there...or maybe I'm out of the loop of what he's now teaching, and it's somehow different now that what it was when.

I don't believe he's saying that the TTB happens from somewhere other than the hitters "launch position" (Hudgens called it "Position of Power", and I remember FFS saying Slaught had another name for it)...but others will say that hitters take their hands from that "launch position" to some other spot before the actually "launch" the barrel. I'm just trying to figure out what it is you're saying is all.

But no biggie if you'd rather not answer, it's not that important to me, and I'm OK if you're beliefs/teachings don't match mine.

All the best,
MB

I think I explained myself pretty well regarding what I meant. The other questions I avoided because I think the answers are obvious. Cheers.

May 12, 2016
In response to 'setting hands' anywhere . I'm more of the notion that the hands should be free to adjust to where the eyes tell them to. Now if your talking "LOOKING" middle and adjusting out or in. I do see that as a great approach . As far as up and down. You could only look high and adjust low. Because of gravity and time . imo.

Yes my dd had a problem of dumping the barrel, it was the result of her trying to TTB gone astray. Lately she using the cue swing level.. Before somebody jumps all over me she doesnt swing flat, but this cue helps her stay on top of the ball and from there she can easily get to the high or low pitches. Its a cue that works for her. Much easier for her to work down than up.

Apr 11, 2015
...TTB gone astray.
Unfortunately, this is not all that uncommon (as with lots of other things as well)...when someone teaches something that they don't understand completely. I've had numerous people tell me this, until after some discussion (some admittedly contentious) they understood what the actual concept of TTB really is (in fact, I was one who did that also in the beginning before I learned as it should have been taught)...

Other just present incorrect arguments against it rather than learn or understand it correctly. Just sayin'...

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Could anyone post a gif where a hitter DOESN'T TTB??? I believe if a hitter is going to have a launch angle they must TTB in order to drive the ball. Some hitters may have a little more preset turning of the barrel in the setup. I don't know how much it needs to be taught. I am a big fan of long tee. If the hitter is launching the ball off the tee, she is TTB.

Also some hitters may snap the barrel when other might more slowly (fluidly- is that a word?) TTB.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Unfortunately, this is not all that uncommon (as with lots of other things as well)...when someone teaches something that they don't understand completely. I've had numerous people tell me this, until after some discussion (some admittedly contentious) they understood what the actual concept of TTB really is (in fact, I was one who did that also in the beginning before I learned as it should have been taught)...

Other just present incorrect arguments against it rather than learn or understand it correctly. Just sayin'...

A lot of assumptions being made here about what knowledge other people have on the matter. Several posters on here post vids/stills showing hitters TTB.. funny enough when these athletes are interviewed they don't mention anything about TTB. In fact some of them seem to talk about doing the opposite. I find it hilarious when people on forums say that these experts are not practicing what they preach. Personally I do not think TTB is the magic blue pill that you swallow and you start crapping rainbows like some of you make it out to be. Too much emphasis on it... if the pros aren't thinking TTB, then why should we emphasize it? Miggy, Pujois, Correa, Altuve, Bustos ...etc. These guys/gals aren't talking about TTB, they don't talk about that being their approach during BP. As a matter of fact, some of them talk about focusing on doing the complete opposite. I'm not saying this is not happening during their game swing.. but why does it happen if they aren't making a conscious effort for that to be the result? Everybody dismisses what Pujois demos.. why? That's his mentality, his cue and the result is what we see. Do I understand how his approach generates his game swing? No, and obviously the majority of people on this website don't. But maybe that's a question that needs answering. I believe too much emphasis on TTB ... just sayin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6y7Oyv48cs&list=PL4xF3iruXAANpfKFWy3tHZUQJ2A40vJyj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRKb_WInmM8

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Yes my dd had a problem of dumping the barrel, it was the result of her trying to TTB gone astray. Lately she using the cue swing level.. Before somebody jumps all over me she doesnt swing flat, but this cue helps her stay on top of the ball and from there she can easily get to the high or low pitches. Its a cue that works for her. Much easier for her to work down than up.

I hope that you don't think that I have jumped on you by posting the stills etc. that I have posted. With regards to TTB, that is the latest soup de jour. Of course all HL hitters have done it. If you look at the Babe, Ted Williams, ... they are all doing it. Pujols certainly did it in his heyday and you see various video of him used to explain it. He never heard that cue. The use of the phrase is simply a guru's change in terms to control conversations. Naturally, the term can be a very good cue if one understands the concept and how to teach it.

Per what you teach to your dd or we teach to ours. Find whatever works and use it. I would never assume that anyone who professes to be an expert really is. In fact, to me, that is a red flag. A local TB team has been sending me players here and there for the past few years to "fix" players who have been going to experts. By coming here and trying to discuss the swing, drills, ... demonstrates a major step in a journey to try to understand the swing and not to simply coach what you/anyone has been taught in the past. I hope that I am constantly learning by coming to this and other sites.

Edited to add:

In this thread I mentioned ssarge. Scott was the perfect example of a guy who could really brag a lot about what he and his daughter had achieved with regards to hitting. He had a serious resume. Yet, on this site, he deflected credit for what I know he did since I was talking to him all of the time. He was well respected by some big time college coaches. As I read various posts that he contributed to, I saw old arguments from 2009 and before. I know a couple of posters in this thread that participated in the discussions back in those threads. Somehow, we are all still getting after it.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Everybody dismisses what Pujois demos.. why? That's his mentality, his cue and the result is what we see. Do I understand how his approach generates his game swing? No, and obviously the majority of people on this website don't. But maybe that's a question that needs answering. I believe too much emphasis on TTB ... just sayin
Lets do an Einstein-like thought experiment (ok that is pushing it..:cool: )

Are you able to speak? Answer is more than likely yes. Now try and explain to me how you do it..I bet you can give an explanation about what you think is happening based upon
what you feel but it will likely be incomplete and perhaps not even correct. Now think about how you learned to speak, did anybody actually teach you to do it? No, right?
So there is no real reason that we can expect you to be able to correctly explain how you do it....

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
A lot of assumptions being made here about what knowledge other people have on the matter. Several posters on here post vids/stills showing hitters TTB.. funny enough when these athletes are interviewed they don't mention anything about TTB. In fact some of them seem to talk about doing the opposite. I find it hilarious when people on forums say that these experts are not practicing what they preach. Personally I do not think TTB is the magic blue pill that you swallow and you start crapping rainbows like some of you make it out to be. Too much emphasis on it... if the pros aren't thinking TTB, then why should we emphasize it? Miggy, Pujois, Correa, Altuve, Bustos ...etc. These guys/gals aren't talking about TTB, they don't talk about that being their approach during BP. As a matter of fact, some of them talk about focusing on doing the complete opposite. I'm not saying this is not happening during their game swing.. but why does it happen if they aren't making a conscious effort for that to be the result? Everybody dismisses what Pujois demos.. why? That's his mentality, his cue and the result is what we see. Do I understand how his approach generates his game swing? No, and obviously the majority of people on this website don't. But maybe that's a question that needs answering. I believe too much emphasis on TTB ... just sayin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6y7Oyv48cs&list=PL4xF3iruXAANpfKFWy3tHZUQJ2A40vJyj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRKb_WInmM8

Just my opinion. Turn the barrel is present in all great swings. It’s a result of other actions that have taken place in the swing. If you were making ‘turn the barrel’ an action. I can see why you were having trouble. It is a reaction to upstream mechanics . It is an absolute of a high level swing imo. I prefer to call it loading the barrel. Hope this helps. I would look to BBD or PM one of the long time members here that you trust to understand what your after. I have had a good private convos with senior members here. Keep workin. That’s the only way!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors