"The Insider bat "

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Gents, let's knock off the personal stuff and stick to the topic. That goes for both sides in this discussion.

We can disagree without making personal attacks. I think we can also disagree without going to extremes. In many cases drills are neither cure-all nor horrible. They're designed to accomplish certain things. The value of a drill in most cases is in how you use it. Personally, I find more bad drills in pitching than hitting.

Incidentally, I also use slow motion and stop motion from time to time. I use one-hand drills and two hand drills. I isolate body parts or sections and use full swings. But with all of them, I use them to paint a larger picture. Each hitter is different and needs different instruction. I use whatever it takes to make the swing happen.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
A few thoughts

1) SL has an excellent daughter/student. The patience, purpose and focus she shows in each drill and repitition is to be commended. It's cool to see how they work together.

2. FFS says;
There should be at least three major feels of connection being reinforced, and not a one of them is occurring in the above demonstration.
That would be an interesting and helpful intructional thread (3 major feels of connection). What do you say FFS?

Apr 8, 2010
To All ;
I apologize if I have created some issues with my original post. I now know that a few of us cannot play nice in the sand box. It fine to agree to disagree but it has gone way of the topic !!!!

All I asked was " can the insider bat be used as a useful tool " most i believe have said no and a very few have said yes. My daughters hitting instructor only uses it for some one arm drills .

How about this " would a hinged bat be a better tool to use instead " he also uses a hinged bat to make sure she stays connected and doesnt go hands to the ball I assume...

The only problem she has with the hinged bat it gets heavy quickly for her and shortens the drill time.

I appreciate all the help and advice I receive on this wonderful forum I have learned alot from all of you. please continue to advice and teach

Thanks
JWP

Oct 14, 2008
To All ;
I apologize if I have created some issues with my original post. I now know that a few of us cannot play nice in the sand box. It fine to agree to disagree but it has gone way of the topic !!!!

All I asked was " can the insider bat be used as a useful tool " most i believe have said no and a very few have said yes. My daughters hitting instructor only uses it for some one arm drills .

How about this " would a hinged bat be a better tool to use instead " he also uses a hinged bat to make sure she stays connected and doesnt go hands to the ball I assume...

The only problem she has with the hinged bat it gets heavy quickly for her and shortens the drill time.

I appreciate all the help and advice I receive on this wonderful forum I have learned alot from all of you. please continue to advice and teach

Thanks
JWP

My advice would be a whip hit, a multi tee and a throw down home plate........... and not to mention wear a batting helmet when using the whip hit. No need to put a knot on the punkin

Tim

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I agree with the Whip hit . It can do so many things other training devices don't come close to it. Plus they are easy to make. Ken's points are valid. No one tool will fix everything. But you need to keep and open mind as a hitting coach and use what you feel that student needs to fix and move on. I have used Dana's connector device for years and it works for many students. Now it looks like on Hi they have posted an expensive copy of the same device. They beat the heck out of Dana when he posted his device on the same site! I guess it depends on who you are on that site. That is why I rarely visit it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
A few thoughts

1) SL has an excellent daughter/student. The patience, purpose and focus she shows in each drill and repitition is to be commended. It's cool to see how they work together.

2. FFS says;

That would be an interesting and helpful intructional thread (3 major feels of connection). What do you say FFS?

I also salute SL's daughter. She indeed has a lot of patience. I received a PM from someone here suggesting that if it was their daughter that they would have rebelled to this form of teaching a long time ago. I see no reason to abanden the Hanson Principle. If a drill doesn't match up to how the best players swing a bat, then IMO, you should think twice before incorporating it into use with your players.

The feel and establishment of connection is important. It should be discussed more ..... because when I see drills performed like this, that use a connector device with the purpose of making a connected swing, and then they create a drill that doesn't do anything to establish connection, then I have to wonder exactly what folks are thinking when they create a drill like this.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
The feel and establishment of connection is important. It should be discussed more ..... because when I see drills performed like this, that use a connector device with the purpose of making a connected swing, and then they create a drill that doesn't do anything to establish connection, then I have to wonder exactly what folks are thinking when they create a drill like this.

You have no idea what connection is -- or you're using a non-standard definition of connection -- if you think her swing isn't connected.

As someone else suggested, you need to start a new thread if you want to try to make the case that her swing isn't connected.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You have no idea what connection is -- or you're using a non-standard definition of connection -- if you think her swing isn't connected.

As someone else suggested, you need to start a new thread if you want to try to make the case that her swing isn't connected.

CO, the demonstration completely glossed over the fusion points necessary to establish connection at swing initiation. To pretend otherwise, is not helpful to the advancement of swing mechanics. Remove the pole, and attempt to duplicate this demonstration exactly at high speeds, and you'll learn quickly that this won't work at the higher levels of competition.

IMO, a demonstration on 'connection', should include the "actions" of "connection" ... something we don't see in this demonstration.

As for starting another thread .... no, I don't need to do that. I'm very comfortable with my understanding of connection. I recall the moderator creating such a thread when this discussion broke out before. The thread didn't go very far, which I view as unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck