"The Insider bat "

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
2qbc0mq.gif

2r7n3mq.gif

33p5wjk.gif

1zyg9vl.gif

Oct 12, 2009
Chris,
Dont wast your time. No matter what you say or how correct you are or who you have worked with, these guys will find something to try discredit your opinion. Howard works with Crystle Bustos who in the opinon of many people was the best female hitter in the world but yet every post he made was wrong according to them. Also i looked at the Barry Bonds slow motion swing on this post and at bat lag his hands are stacked on his elbow, Which ffs said that that did not happen during the swing process. All i want to say is enough already use this board as it was intended for to help coaches, parents and kids get better.

I know, but I feel sorry for the parents who will look at the clips and not pay attention to all the good that's in them due to all the bogus, agenda-driven criticism.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It's extremely close, especially for a demo swing.

This demo swing has multiple issues ... one of which is the failure to perform the necessary actions needed to establish a connected swing. An objective of a pure vertical forearm, while related to a power-V, is not the same and compromises her elbow location. It is unlikely that anyone could swing this way at game speeds.

What is the action this girl is doing in this demonstration to establish a connection from the lower torso to the upper torso? Pretty much nothing.

What is the action this girl is doing to fuse the rear arm? Pretty much nothing.

What is the action this girl is doing to fuse the lead arm? Pretty much nothing.

How can this lead to building a connected swing, when there is nothing taking place to establish connection? It won't ... and if what is being practiced here, is duplicated at higher swing speeds, then the swing will fall apart. What is being demonstrated here is not something that anyone should want burnt into muscle memory.

This is not an area of the swing that you want to mess around with haphazardly. We are talking about connecting to the body’s main source of power. If you teach a swing that fails to connect to the body’s rotation then your hitters will search for a different power source to power their swing … and often that source of power will be the arms.

Teaching connection is important. If you develop hitters that fail to establish connection, then often the result is a swing with an over reliance on the arms … an armsy swing …. which is not what you want … or at least not what I want.

Aug 16, 2010
hello all

My daughter has started using a new hitting coach and he has been using the insider bat. I personally do not see any big deal about it .

Can anyone share there feelings on this tool ? Would you use this tool for older girls? Does the bent handle useful ? Can it cause any bad habits? What makes this tool any better than using a small tee ball bat for one handed drills?

Thanks
JWP

Not absolutely certain - however, I believe that the "hammer drills" with a hammer that has a non-completely-round handle - that candrea and howard demonstrate would accomplish what this attempts to accomplish. Again, not certain don't want to spark controversy. Hope this addresses your question.

However, I don't know how this will affect your "power V" connection to your RVP or "power L" connection or whether the disconnection of your lower torso will impact the "power BS" zone.

Guys - Just a "relative novice non-expert" opinion here:

I truly enjoy and benefit from the ability to pick the brains of the real experts on this forum. Thanks to everyone who shares here, I really appreciate you. However, to force us "non-experts" to sort through 8 pages of bickering and super technical jargon (that is neither consistent nor truly "terms of art") in every topic that deals with hitting in order to find one little nugget of digestible advice is very selfish. Just my opinion - nothing else.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
What is the action this girl is doing in this demonstration to establish a connection from the lower torso to the upper torso? Pretty much nothing.

So once again you are using terms in a non-standard manner.

It's kind of difficult to have a productive discussion of anything that way.

Oct 12, 2009
I truly enjoy and benefit from the ability to pick the brains of the real experts on this forum. Thanks to everyone who shares here, I really appreciate you. However, to force us "non-experts" to sort through 8 pages of bickering and super technical jargon (that is not consistent or truly "terms of art") in every topic that deals with hitting in order to find one little nugget of digestible advice is very selfish. Just my opinion - nothing else.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

Most of these concepts have been covered years ago and a vocabulary defined to describe them.

The problem is that FFS has decided to use those terms (e.g. connection) to describe something completely different.

The result is that much of the time I am just as confused as you are.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
So once again you are using terms in a non-standard manner.

It's kind of difficult to have a productive discussion of anything that way.

CO, Lawdawg .... It does create a bit of struggle when folks use different terms. Having worked with several hitting systems, I respect the struggle. Learning to understand others is part of the struggle.

CO ... I've mentioned it before, that part of being helpful is to extend the effort to understand the jargon that others use. Comes down to how helpful you wish to be.

Lawdawg ... it is unfortunate that posts are not 100% useful. That is the reality as I know it. It will come down to how badly you want good information ... and how much work you are willing to put into the effort. We all have the same issue. If I extract something useful from 100+ posts, then I'm happy. If the hit rate is better than that, then I'm happier still. Developing filters will speed up the process of filtering in good information and filtering out bad information. I share your concern .... but I have yet to see a great alternative other than private sites that dedicate themselves to one hitting philosophy ... and even there the hit rate won't be 100%, but it will be higher than the majority of public message boards.

Aug 16, 2010
CO, Lawdawg .... It does create a bit of struggle when folks use different terms. Having worked with several hitting systems, I respect the struggle. Learning to understand others is part of the struggle.

CO ... I've mentioned it before, that part of being helpful is to extend the effort to understand the jargon that others use. Comes down to how helpful you wish to be.

Lawdawg ... it is unfortunate that posts are not 100% useful. That is the reality as I know it. It will come down to how badly you want good information ... and how much work you are willing to put into the effort. We all have the same issue. If I extract something useful from 100+ posts, then I'm happy. If the hit rate is better than that, then I'm happier still. Developing filters will speed up the process of filtering in good information and filtering out bad information. I share your concern .... but I have yet to see a great alternative other than private sites that dedicate themselves to one hitting philosophy ... and even there the hit rate won't be 100%, but it will be higher than the majority of public message boards.

I think you missed my point. Look, I'm a lawyer - thus, I appreciate a good APPROPRIATE argument and I have nothing against using complicated vernacular which is duplicitous and then charging you to explain it. However, people expect that from a lawyer - they want to hear non-sequitor, habeas corpus and res ipsa loquitor come out of their lawyers mouth. I work 60 hours a week and coach 20. I'm a 44 yoa hack with 4 wonderful daughters (3 of whom love this game). I coach tb and Jr. High - but my day job pays my bills including the thousands it costs for my girls to play this game.

When I look here - I want to open a forum that asks the question does this "inside hitter thing" work - and get an approximation to an answer. If the forum asks - how to avoid disconnection at POC - then I would expect to see 8 pages of you guys arguing. Nothing personal - I'm selfish too. That being said - I truly do appreciate your collective effort and dedication to this great sport - whatever the motivation. In my business we often see people who are "often certain and seldom correct." I guess that exists everywhere.

Regards,
Dawg

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009

It's not particularly helpful when you use terms that already have an established meaning to describe something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01