"The Insider bat "

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2009
CO, the demonstration completely glossed over the fusion points necessary to establish connection at swing initiation. To pretend otherwise, is not helpful to the advancement of swing mechanics. Remove the pole, and attempt to duplicate this demonstration exactly at high speeds, and you'll learn quickly that this won't work at the higher levels of competition.

IMO, a demonstration on 'connection', should include the "actions" of "connection" ... something we don't see in this demonstration.

As for starting another thread .... no, I don't need to do that. I'm very comfortable with my understanding of connection. I recall the moderator creating such a thread when this discussion broke out before. The thread didn't go very far, which I view as unfortunate.

There is no point talking about something, and criticizing people for not teaching it, if you aren't willing to explain it.

Unless you're just spamming the board, that is.

Oct 12, 2009
I'm not following you CO. What is it that you don't understand about connection that you would like to know?

You need to put some meat behind this statement...

The feel and establishment of connection is important. It should be discussed more ..... because when I see drills performed like this, that use a connector device with the purpose of making a connected swing, and then they create a drill that doesn't do anything to establish connection, then I have to wonder exactly what folks are thinking when they create a drill like this.

In general, explain how she is failing to establish and then maintain connection.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You need to put some meat behind this statement...

Again with the "need" based comments.

I don't "need" to do any such thing. If you have a specific question, then state it.

For example, you asked how she fails to establish connection. My "guess", and this is just a "guess" mind you, is that she fails to perform the actions that establish connection because there is a lack of understanding on her part. That is just a guess mind you. There is also the observation that at slow speeds that it is easier to perform a task with a non-ideal approach, and perhaps .... and this is a guess mind you .... but perhaps she has been taught this non-ideal approach that she is demonstrating. There is also the observation of the connector device .... although she has demonstrated this same slow-motion mechanical approach with, and without, a connector device. These are all just guesses as to why she is not demonstrating the actions establishing connection in a demo that is supposed to display a connected swing.

But before we proceed ...

You viewed SL’s demonstration and your comment was … “This demo is quite solid, especially since it's being performed in slow motion.

Please explain to me your logic about it being solid based on it being performed in slow-motion.

In your expert opinion, does this demonstration capture the important actions that establish connection at swing initiation? Please answer that question.

IMO, the demonstration does not capture the important actions that establish connection at swing initiation. The fact that the demonstration was performed in slow-motion, with a device that provided a physical connection, does not change my observation that the important points of fusion were not established.

I do not view the fact that a drill is performed in slow-motion as a suitable excuse to instead practice a resemblance of connection that is not performed by the best hitters in this game and that can’t be replicated at higher swing speeds. If anything, I view it as more appropriate to have a demonstration displaying “correct actions” in slow-motion … in which case, IMO, the actions are easier to control.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Given the context of the swing, none of the above assertions hold any water as it is a slo-mo drill.
At the end of the day, we can't say anything about this clip as it would relate to success on the diamond vs. live pitching.
To praise or criticize is a fools game.

BD

Almost .... what we can say is that this demonstration is not only void of the key fusion points that are necessary to establish connection, but that it also doesn't match up with any game-like swing that has ever been produced.

What we see here is a demonstration that is supposed to scale to a connected swing at higher speeds, but doesn't contain the elements that would allow that. We also see a swing that doesn't satisfy the Hanson Principle.

May 20, 2008
Chris,
Dont wast your time. No matter what you say or how correct you are or who you have worked with, these guys will find something to try discredit your opinion. Howard works with Crystle Bustos who in the opinon of many people was the best female hitter in the world but yet every post he made was wrong according to them. Also i looked at the Barry Bonds slow motion swing on this post and at bat lag his hands are stacked on his elbow, Which ffs said that that did not happen during the swing process. All i want to say is enough already use this board as it was intended for to help coaches, parents and kids get better.

May 20, 2008
FFS,
Please look at post 33, 36, 38, and 39. it clearly shows Barry Bonds with hands stacked on the elbow. Please respond maybe i am seeing something different.
hummmmm

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Eddie, this is what Mankin refers to the Power-V, something I have my hitters practice. This is the pinched rear forearm-to-bicep at the RVP connection point.

2lc2war.gif

The rear forearm need not be vertical, and often it is not. To specify a perfectly 'vertical' forearm can, and does, compromise the elbow displacement from the body and hence one's ability to handle plate coverage. The goal of an upright Power-V, at the point of the swing passing through the RVP connection position, is a good goal IMO.

2z518oy.gif

Oct 12, 2009
Given the context of the swing, none of the above assertions hold any water as it is a slo-mo drill.
At the end of the day, we can't say anything about this clip as it would relate to success on the diamond vs. live pitching.
To praise or criticize is a fools game.

As a demonstration of what a good swing looks like, this is far better than most.

Apart from what I mentioned, IMO any criticism of this demo is only going to lead people off the path.

Oct 12, 2009
You didn't answer the following question ....

In your expert opinion, does this demonstration capture the important actions that establish connection at swing initiation?

Connection is a process.

Aside from what her from what her front elbow does at the POC, she gets and stays connected.

Perhaps you could stop dancing and actually define, "...the important actions that establish connection at swing initiation?"

Otherwise, you should stay of the discussion as you appear to have nothing to offer other than unhelpful, totally non-specific criticism.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd