The Imfamous 60 MPH Pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
When my daughter was 12 she pitched for a 14 YO travel team she was throwing a constant 57-58 MPH every now and then 60-61 all she had was a fastball and change-up. Her pitching coach she began going to at 14 told us that speed, when a pitching has good mechanics, is timing with release. When a pitcher has an occasional burst of speed she needs to feel the timing of release and try to become consistent with the timing. The coach, she is 15 now, says movement is more important than speed and does not use a radar gun.

One thing I did noticed at the CWS that many pitchers rarely broke 60 although they were some in the 64-66 range, movement seemed to be the name of the game.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Amy brings out a great point about the 62 once and never again. For whatever reason, it happened and now doesn't. Yet, for a lot of pitcher's parents, that is now the speed they will shout to the masses. I saw my dd clocked at 63 for her drop a couple of years ago (age 15) by a college coach. The same coach asked why she had lost velocity later that year. Well, perhaps it was adrenaline on that first one. Who knows but... I have no idea what my dd throws now. Radar guns are great for the local law enforcement but I've never counted on them to determine who was a good pitcher.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Two thoughts. The college pitchers don't throw their fastball very often. If they did, I know that Fowler can approach 72, every once in awhile. So, lower speeds would indicate a curve ball, drop ball, etc.

I don't own a radar gun. I use a Glove Radar, that I know is accurate. I never knew how fast my DD threw, until she had to pitch after an 18 month lay off. She was throwing 54. She was 17.

If your pitcher is getting the outs, you don't need to know how fast she is pitching.

Just wait until we are all able to get a number on "bat speed." That will be pretty neat.

Jun 21, 2010
When my oldest DD (now 17) was 13, we had a parent from an opposing team tell us she was hitting 60 on their gun. Obviously that wasn't consistent, and I don't know how many times she did it. Her pitching coach didn't use a gun, and we had never measured her speed.

However, her passion was basketball, and she ended up giving up softball later that year when the coach wanted to do fund raising in the middle of bball season. She would have played in high school, but two ACL tears prevented it.

Nov 19, 2009
I think there are alot of outa spec radar guns here cause im pitching mens fastpitch around 60 mph and you guys are telling me 60 at the age of 12-13 yr old girls !!!

Mar 11, 2009
Izzy's dad, can you tell us what team this pitcher was on??

Just got back from 14U World Series in KC. DD's team played well, but were knocked out of the tournament on Friday.

Daughter made friends with another team, so we went and watched them play on 2 different days. I saw ligitimate 60 mph pitches from a 13 year old girl. She had said the night before at the hotel that she threw a consitant 60. All I could think was, yeah, whatever. Heard it all before. Then, I watched her pitch. My jaw hit the ground! This was the real deal, and from 40 feet. I was up close and personal both days. Closer than watching live college pitching.

All I can say is.......all you dad's out there who think their 12, 13, 14 year old daughters are throwing 60, you better get a reality check. I sure did, and was blown away. I'm not saying there are not girls out there who can throw 60 at that age, but I think it would be extremely rare. And, if my daughter gets that fast, I will be wearing full catchers gear.

My daughter has a long way to go. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish