The Imfamous 60 MPH Pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 8, 2010
I will try to post a video of a high school freshman who can hit 66mph. She plays on our travel team, i have clocked her but never taped her.

Oct 18, 2009
It's not Tori Finucane, is it? We've had a thread here about her a while ago that got shut down because someone objected to her being identified by name.

Well, I think that if your name is good enough to be mentioned in the Washington Post, it's good enough to be mentioned on an Internet forum dedicated to discussing softball:

Bishop O'Connell beats Tori Finucane's heat, claims seventh straight WCAC title

I understand that Finucane can easily pitch in the upper 60s with her fastball, but has an arsenal of movement pitches that she relies on to confound the batters. The article above is actually about her experiencing a rare loss, but it does come with a video footage of her pitching (and getting hit!).

As we speculated in the old thread, this video shows that her long arms and long legs (as well as her gymnastics background) definitely add quite a few 'virtual' inches to her frame.

Oct 18, 2009
Where did I say she was 13? And why does it matter?

I was responding to "smooth24", who referred to a high school freshman who pitched 66 mph. Finucane will be a sophomore in the Fall, and has been pitching in the mid to upper 60s this season, so she fits that general description.

Besides, I believe she was already pitching over 60 before her 14th birthday, when she was a few inches shorter than she is now (which was the main reason the old thread got started), so I am not entirely sure why you brought up her age?

Pitchers with her kind of physical gifts are rare, but they manifestly do exist.

Jan 12, 2010
There were a ton of people gunning and taking video of Tori at ASA Nationals. The highest I heard this week was 68, but she was consistent in the 65-67 range. This was expressed through college coaches who were there, and is consistent with what she's been doing for a while now. She hit 60 as a 12U.

May 25, 2010
The kid is long, no question. Great athlete.

Unfortunately, while the public (specifically, this forum) can say we're exercising due diligence and common sense by attempting to protect the identity of minors, the reality is that these teenagers are being sought for - and permitted to give - on-camera interviews that are released into the public domain. Their names, schools, jersey numbers, etc. are all out there and available for anyone to see.

The nature of the media game has changed and while every single one of us wants to protect our young daughters, many of us also can't wait to see clips of the young phenoms in action. That's just who and what we are - fascinating performances intrigue us and we want to see them.

That said, each community gets to establish its own standards and if dfp.com chooses to treat athletes anonymously, then I'll certainly abide by that.

Jan 12, 2010
There has been a lot written about her as a freshman/rising sophomore, which is easy to see by googling her name. In fact, her name will pop up before you finish typing. Some of these articles discuss why she's had success as a pitcher. What's more interesting is that she's really only been pitching for a little more than 4 years. She began a little before that with some clinics, but quickly found a pitching coach whom she's been going to religiously since she started with him.

Dec 19, 2008
Izzy's dad, can you tell us what team this pitcher was on??

Well, for anonymity purposes, I won't say which team, but she was on a team from Michigan. My daughter texts with her almost daily, and they keep talking about getting together - haha, maybe next year at nationals :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy