The Circle and its' purpose

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
In a few of the posts, there has been discussion about the pitcher landing outside of the circle with the stride foot. Will someone tell me where I might find that in the rule books? I know the rule book addresses the "LOOK BACK" and the circle. It would be a disadvantage to be a tall pitcher with long legs and an aggressive stride.

Mar 13, 2010
I don't know the rule, but I've never really seen anyone manage to get out of the circle.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
In college I sometimes see the pitcher land on the chalk, rarely
beyond the lines without leaping. Most pitchers are not tall enough to
have that large of stride. Leaping is a different topic altogether that is being beat
to death on another thread

Mar 13, 2010
I think its relevant here, simply because I've never seen a legal pitcher go beyond the circle. Or even close. The only way to break this rule, is to already be breaking a rule.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Tojo, I'm not aware of a rule that states the pitcher has to stay in the circle. The only thing I know the circle is for is the look back rule. I wouldn't call myself a rules expert there so take, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

I know I've used references to how close to the chalk some pitchers get as a discriptive aid to be clear about the distance covered by the stride.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Brianne Mcgowan, who used to pitch for Oregon State, regularly stepped on or beyond the circle. She was about 6'2". Pretty good drag foot--I never saw her get called for an IP, and watching her in person, never thought she was illegal. She never had any problem with being penalized for being out of the circle. She's on one of the RVP DVDs, and you can see the length of her stride. I've also never seen a rule that says the pitcher can't step outside of the circle in her motion.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs