NCAA Slapper rules are unfair

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
That is not why the rule was originally put in place back in the 1800s when baseball was a completely different game. It is a hold over from a game that doesn't really exist and should have been removed just like other rules of that time. Like a fly ball could be caught on a hop for an out, among others.

I assume the rule was put in place on the reasoning that all outs must be achieved by a catch or a tag. Why is that outdated? Not necessarily disagreeing, but not sure I follow the reasoning that it's obsolete.

May 29, 2015
I have to believe that the DDB will filter down to NFHS and travel ball.
Pure speculation, but I'm not so sure. After a few years run of the "big" orgs seeming to come back in line with one another, now we seem to be on a trajectory of them diverging again. Gotta' build that brand.
:rolleyes:

As for NFHS, they seem to be more concerned with the cosmetics of the game than actual game play. Not that I think NFHS needs many rule changes, but the vast majority of the changes they have made or inquired about are things like jewelry and facepaint.

Regarding the UNCAUGHT third strike rule ... I don't object to the concept. I object to the variation with two outs.

May 13, 2021
I assume the rule was put in place on the reasoning that all outs must be achieved by a catch or a tag. Why is that outdated? Not necessarily disagreeing, but not sure I follow the reasoning that it's obsolete.
It was originally put in when there wasn’t even a catcher and the pitcher threw it underhand from like 10’ away.

Jun 8, 2016
It was originally put in when there wasn’t even a catcher and the pitcher threw it underhand from like 10’ away.
This rule seems to upset you a great deal 😂. Give me an honest answer, if your kid wasn’t a pitcher would it upset you so much?

May 13, 2021
I have thought it was a stupid rule for 30 years. Has nothing to do with anyone in my family playing baseball or softball.

May 27, 2022
Pure speculation, but I'm not so sure. After a few years run of the "big" orgs seeming to come back in line with one another, now we seem to be on a trajectory of them diverging again. Gotta' build that brand.
:rolleyes:

As for NFHS, they seem to be more concerned with the cosmetics of the game than actual game play. Not that I think NFHS needs many rule changes, but the vast majority of the changes they have made or inquired about are things like jewelry and facepaint.

Regarding the UNCAUGHT third strike rule ... I don't object to the concept. I object to the variation with two outs.

As an umpire/fan, it brings an intriguing wrinkle; will this team know the difference? Will this coach send their players? Especially with younger players and coaches. But that is just a novelty.

As a purist, I agree. It adds another level of if/then thinking to an already complicated line of thinking which only distracts from the intent of the game..

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
As a purist, I agree. It adds another level of if/then thinking to an already complicated line of thinking which only distracts from the intent of the game..
Agree with this , it adds another level of thinking,
However imo it makes the game more technical.
Not distracting from the intent of the game rather adding to the technicality of it.

Quick thinking and reaction time... offense and defense.

Is that technicality necessary? That would be relevant to how technical people want the game to be. I think it adds paying attention at a higher level.
Players have to pay attention to where they are at in every moment of the game.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
I'll go back to the OP's rationale ... I don't understand why something would be illegal with less than two outs, but suddenly fine with two outs. (IFF rule withstanding)

Either let them run regardless of first base being occupied or don't. Changing the rule with two outs is stupid.

Think of how much more exciting it would be when the runner on first doesn't go ... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad