Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2019
How barrel path is cultivated. Either artificially or organically.
Yes, I figured this or something similar to this about a year and a half ago , but again I'm offering help to those just starting out with HLP. Some of the drills can be used with any hitting method.

I have a question for you W. Would trying to have the swing be inside the ball be a way to shallow the bat path.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Yes, I never remember being told anything. Now everyone tries to teach it.
Well you just said kids don’t figure things out. I think sometimes the problem is that we (I definitely include myself in this, with Marcela at least) don’t have the patience to let them figure it out anymore..Video causes us to micromanage everything 😕

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes, I figured this or something similar to this about a year and a half ago , but again I'm offering help to those just starting out with HLP. Some of the drills can be used with any hitting method.

I have a question for you W. Would trying to have the swing be inside the ball be a way to shallow the bat path.

Can you Re-ask the question? Not sure what you meant.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Well you just said kids don’t figure things out. I think sometimes the problem is that we (I definitely include myself in this, with Marcela at least) don’t have the patience to let them figure it out anymore..Video causes us to micromanage everything 😕

I would suggest that most come to a point where they've figured it partly out, but that next step is the stumbling block that becomes their limiter for success. Quality instruction changes the curve and the ceiling. Shared knowledge is valuable. As a teacher, you know this.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

They don’t figure it out because they hear to much instruction, from to many people. I worked out every pitcher tonight. So, I didn’t get to show them a couple of simple things. Next practice. They did do very well pitching tonight.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Does staying inside the ball shallow out the bat path..

Personally I think the ‘turn’ shallows out the bat initially, but during the turn the bat wants to move away from the center of rotation. So the hands gotta keep things up and back. Until release or whip of the barrel.

May 16, 2019
Personally I think the ‘turn’ shallows out the bat initially, but during the turn the bat wants to move away from the center of rotation. So the hands gotta keep things up and back. Until release or whip of the barrel.
So why did you even bring it up? Fluff?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32