Teaching slap hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Mendoza has a video too. We go simpler on the footwork though. We start with a tennis racket/backhand to make kids instantly believe that hitting the other way is natural.

It is not one size fits all. Mendoza's footwork was due to her height/stride length. Slapping for tall players presents it's own unique challenges.

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
I can provide link to a Powerpoint on slapping if you email me at slaphit@aol.com. I have provided it to a few dozen DFP users over the past several years and have received positive feedback. File is too large to post in forum.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I can provide link to a Powerpoint on slapping if you email me at slaphit@aol.com. I have provided it to a few dozen DFP users over the past several years and have received positive feedback. File is too large to post in forum.
Do you mind sharing? We have a few players that are fast. I've got 3 lefties and 3 more that have learned how to hit from the left but we haven't been able to teach them how to slap. Honesty, we don't bunt well either. Part of the game we haven't quit figured out yet.
Was thinking of purchasing a dvd or something if there are any suggestions. Most of the hitting coaches around here don't teach much slapping and in the end we are just a buncha dads learning the game as much as the kids, so we've been slow in the progress department despite working on it at practices.

Mar 22, 2013
Sunny SC
What is the best and easiest way to teach slap hitting? Any Videos?

I will also add....make sure you find an instructor that really knows the basics of slap hitting. The team coach also has to know how to use her. I think it is an art, and takes TONS of practice. There are so many different types of slap hits, reading the defense, knowing the game, let alone being able to just swing away. It takes a lot of commitment to be good at it. It is hard to unlearn the basics if you are taught wrong from the begining (been there). My DD was told, and it was true, that she would struggle for a year at minimum. Her BA/OBP went down, but she stuck with it. Finally, this year she leads the team by far in OBP, rarely strikes out. She LOVES seeing the defense try to play her way up. Good hard slap or soft slap to the hole and she can jog to first. Next at bat they play back a bit and here comes a drag bunt...jogging to first. It really takes a lot of practice but the rewards are worth it. Best of luck!

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
For those who are looking at the Powerpoint material, I want to supplement with a few additional points identified since the file was created a few years ago.

1) On the hard slap , the PP refers to lock and load as an upper body mechanic to help keep the belly button pointed at the plate during cross before launch. I now also emphasize coiling the right (i.e. front) hip/leg during the back step plant to get the core more engaged. Of course the right leg becomes the back leg after the cross so this front hip coil is somewhat similar to the rear leg/hip coil so frequently discussed in the full swing.
2) On the soft slap, the PP describes the stroke as mostly back arm which is true but some players tend to hit balls to the P because they stop the knob from moving forward and just turn the barrel with the back arm. These players need to think of keeping the knob moving straight forward with the front arm (i.e. not front shoulder) while the back arm turns and pushes the barrel into the ball while keeping the bat level.
3) On the drag bunt, the PP emphasizes moving the bat back to C at end of bat contact to achieve a soft bunt. A helpful drill is to get the batter into a ready-to-bunt position with bat out front-up-level and front elbow up but have them angle the bat so the barrel is ahead of their hands and pointed about at the ss. The batter takes her cross after pitch release and focuses on end of bat contact trying to bunt the ball in front of the plate. Since the barrel is preset angled to right, batter will have to move the bat back to the C to direct it to center. Key point is that batter needs to adjust bat angle at contact by moving barrel back WITHOUT also moving knob forward.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors