Teaching hitting Carrier/Bustos approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010

Reverse hand swing.

I always liked this drill. It was my go to with my younger dd when she got out of whack. I worked with two of my own kids and two of my buddies dd‘s, they did this drill regularly as well as a bunch of other Howard/SL stuff. All did very well in hs and all played college ball.

I normally only do about 8 of these.

Great nugget here. People grab onto a drill and overdo it. Sometimes it is just a very few swings that are needed to feel something that can be improved.

Also- The marked net was one of the best things Hitter passed on.

Last, it’s easy to complain about what another instructor is doing. Especially in the world where one Richard controls the cult. There is a lot of good stuff that is directly descended from Howard. Of course it isn’t exactly what was being preached back then. That would be the bigger sin.

SL, glad you are back.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Another student 5th grade. Started with me 4th grade

I’m not saying she should be perfect, nobody is perfect. Even the elite are always striving for perfection until your no longer playing.

Watch it in full speed multiple times, then view it frame by frame. The swing isn’t sudden or quick. However you view the swing.

Telling her to relax the hands or shoulders before she grasps sudden/quick swing, might be the wrong advice at this time in her development.

Again, not saying she has to be perfect in the 5th grade. The big sine wave into contact and into the follow through is the symptom.

Great job with all the hitters your showing.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

Here is one of my daughter doing the reverse hand swing.
She was sophomore/junior in high school. She is 29 now

You do know the reverse top hand is stopping any driving forward with the hands and creates the pivot point with rearward acceleration of the barrel?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I’m not saying she should be perfect, nobody is perfect. Even the elite are always striving for perfection until your no longer playing.

Watch it in full speed multiple times, then view it frame by frame. The swing isn’t sudden or quick. However you view the swing.

Telling her to relax the hands or shoulders before she grasps sudden/quick swing, might be the wrong advice at this time in her development.

Again, not saying she has to be perfect in the 5th grade. The big sine wave into contact and into the follow through is the symptom.

Great job with all the hitters your showing.
When they are all tensed up shoulders tight, they don't hit the ball as well. I think when you start the swing and step out the muscles engage automatically. Why be tense like that at setup. JMO

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
When they are all tensed up shoulders tight, they don't hit the ball as well. I think when you start the swing and step out the muscles engage automatically. Why be tense like that at setup. JMO

I agree start relaxed. No don’t tense up the shoulders, set up the back. I’m just saying she isn’t engaging during the load. She is staying relaxed. It’s not about tensing up.

giphy.gif

The elbow leading is just the symptom. It’s just part of the slack in the launch. This is just to show how far into the launch she gets without acceleration of the barrel.

Just watch in real time, you can see the sluggishness in the swing. Then watch it frame by frame.

How would you address it? I look at it as slack in the system, not a sudden swing.

giphy.gif

Suddenness/quick. Swinging down immediately.

Jun 8, 2016
I agree start relaxed. No don’t tense up the shoulders, set up the back. I’m just saying she isn’t engaging during the load. She is staying relaxed. It’s not about tensing up.

giphy.gif

The elbow leading is just the symptom. It’s just part of the slack in the launch. This is just to show how far into the launch she gets without acceleration of the barrel.

Just watch in real time, you can see the sluggishness in the swing. Then watch it frame by frame.

How would you address it? I look at it as slack in the system, not a sudden swing.

giphy.gif

Suddenness/quick. Swinging down immediately.
He isn’t asking for help 🤷🏽‍♂️

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06