Taking speed off the changeup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I cut my stride off, a bit. I call it "putting on the brakes."
Practice the CU every day. It will finally come. When using a catcher, have the catcher put the glove on the ground, in front of her, fingers down, palm up. This will give the pitcher a visual. Then, the catcher needs to move to her normal position.

Rocketech1;426344[B said:
]I don't see the problem. If her maximum speed is up it's ok if her change up speed has increase as wel[/B]l (i.e. difference in speed is the key). Even a change up 5 - 7 mph slower than the fastest pitch can be effective. If you want to take some speed off the change up, you can always add more skin to the ball (more friction = less speed). You can also tuck a knuckle on other pitches, for example, a curveball to take some speed off the pitch. How fast is her changeup compared to her fastest pitch?

I think there is a good point here. Who would ever think a 60 mph change up would be effective???? Well, Monica Abbott who throws well over 70 mph throws her change up about 60 mph......and it is very effective. As the top end speed goes up, it is ok for the change up speed to increase also.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A good change up will be 12-15 MPH slower than the fastest pitch. If a change up is too slow the batter has enough time to recognize and adjust.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Eliminating the whip (aka I/R) is the key here. She needs to practice rotating the arm in slo-motion so that the ball/hand is ahead of the elbow by 9:00... Rick will refer to this as the crook!
My verbal que to students is simply..."Turn, Crook, Shove" Now understand that this is a gross exaggeration when performed in slo-motion, however it'll start to engrain some muscle memory. The inertia of going full speed will straighten her arm out quite a bit. I really emphasize the wrist area right above the thumb being the brush trigger point in this release. I'll usually refer to this release as splashing a cup of milk onto her little brother or sister from under the kitchen table so mom doesn't see it....hold the cup of milk with a stiff "kung-fu grip" (old school GI Joe reference!) When doing this it'll keep her fingers outside the ball and the release point is the same as her fast/dropball. This will add to the deception factor.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Eliminating the whip (aka I/R) is the key here. She needs to practice rotating the arm in slo-motion so that the ball/hand is ahead of the elbow by 9:00... Rick will refer to this as the crook!
My verbal que to students is simply..."Turn, Crook, Shove" Now understand that this is a gross exaggeration when performed in slo-motion, however it'll start to engrain some muscle memory. The inertia of going full speed will straighten her arm out quite a bit. I really emphasize the wrist area right above the thumb being the brush trigger point in this release. I'll usually refer to this release as splashing a cup of milk onto her little brother or sister from under the kitchen table so mom doesn't see it....hold the cup of milk with a stiff "kung-fu grip" (old school GI Joe reference!) When doing this it'll keep her fingers outside the ball and the release point is the same as her fast/dropball. This will add to the deception factor.
This has seemed to work. She has gotten the changeup speed down...She gotten when thrown 10-12 mph slower...seemed to be more effective in games...even striking out batters. thanks.
We will be calling the other way she threw it her off speed.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi